Please sign in to post.

Seeking Germany Locations to add to our 2015 Austria Trip

As Fall arrives, we’re beginning to search on-line for ideas for a 2015 September trip to Europe. We’re in our 50’s, stay in Europe for 15 days and like a variety of big city/ small towns, water/mountains locations if possible during the trip. During our vacations, one stop has been a non-touristy location - really enjoyed those adventures. We travel by train & bus. We travel more for the culture than seeing the most popular sites, so we would forego a location if it’s over-crowded with tourists.

We took the RS GAS tour 11 years ago so have been to Salzburg, Hallstatt & Vienna. I’ve listed some initial ideas (not in order of travel), but we would appreciate hearing about locations that could extend this vacation into Germany (or replace some of the towns listed below) and fly out of Germany to return to Seattle. (We have been to Munich.) Thanks!

We would like to spend more time in Vienna –4 days.
We really liked Salzburg for the atmosphere, music, beautiful buildings & smaller town feel in the old center . We would like someplace with a similar feel. – 3 days.
We’re looking for a relaxing spot of outdoor beauty– St. Wolfgang? – 2 days
The Melk Abbey - stay there overnight to see the abbey and be in a small town? – 1 day

Posted by
2169 posts

We really enjoyed Passau - and it's an easy trip from there to Munich for departure.

Posted by
5678 posts

Had you thought about the more western part of Austria? We went skiing near Dornbirn when I was in school and the views of the Bodensee were wonderful. I had friends who recently attended a conference in Lindau earlier this year. The one partner really enjoyed the countryside while the other was in meetings. :) Also, north and a bit west from Dornbirn is the Neckar River valley which is quite lovely and not as well traveled. And not too far are Ulm and Augsburg--both interesting towns/cities to visit. You might also look into Innsbruck.

Pam

Posted by
60 posts

We loved Berteshgaden for the beauty, hiking, and lovely town as well as the WW museum. It is about an hour south of Salzburg. We already had stayed in Salzburg for 5 nights because we were there for the music festival, but drove back to Salzburg for one more concert. It was an easy drive from Berteshgaden. We stayed at Alpenhof an can only say good things about it--very peaceful and really nice service and rooms.
Bad Ischl is a town that we found when driving around one day. It is darling and looked like a wonderful place to stay.
We stayed at "The Vienna Guesthouse" and do not recommend it.

Posted by
7253 posts

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. We really appreciate it!

Posted by
1225 posts

The Viehscheid or Almabtrieb occurs in September - bringing the cattle home for the winter. Here is a link to Bavarian events for 2014. Each year, the dates seem to crop up online in early summer. I attended a cow parade in Mutters outside of Innsbruck a few years ago. The cows love posing for photos - or so I imagined.

http://www.bavaria.us/almabtrieb-viehscheid-in-bavaria-all-dates.

Google Viehscheid or Almabtrieb and any number of place/region names and you will find similar info: Bavaria, Tyrol, Sudtirol, Switzerland, etc. These are mountain-related events. There are numerous posting of home videos on YouTube, if you want a better idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK00kqwxJgw

Debbie

Posted by
432 posts

Hi Jean. We just spent 3 nights in Oberammergau, Germany and really enjoyed it. It's a small place, nested in the mountains of southern Bavaria, with lots of restaurants and places to stay (hotels, gasthaus, apartments, etc). It's known for the Passion Play, it's fabulous frescoed buildings, and marvelous wood-carvings, but it's also close to a number of interesting places and other towns. It's serviced well by the train and bus. It's close to Garmisch and Fussen, so you could base yourself there and tour around. There's lots of hiking in the nearby hills/mountains, Schloss Linderhof (one of King Ludwig II palaces), Kloster Ettal, and lots of other sites I'm sure you'll find.

Posted by
672 posts

In Austria, consider visiting Graz (about Graz) and Eisenstadt (about Eisenstadt). Graz is the capital of Styria, about 2.5 hours by train from Vienna. Eisenstadt is the capital of Burgenland, near the Hungarian border about an hour from Vienna. There is lots to do in and around both cities and they have a completely different 'feel' from Vienna. It is probably best to do an overnight trip to Graz; Eisenstadt can easily be done in one day.

Posted by
328 posts

Consider Berchtesgaden. We just spent 5 days there and could have stayed longer. Konigsee and the Eagle's Nest get a lot of tourists but there is a lot of alpine beauty to experience (we'd recommend the Almbachklamm and Hintersee) outside of this and a number of small towns in close proximity with plenty of options for places to stay. We even did a day-trip to Hallstatt and St. Wolfgang (1 hour - we drove) while we were there.

While we were there, my husband became fascinated by the Nazi history in the area. Commonly mentioned are the Eagle's Nest and Dokumentation Zentrum (which was fascinating) but Hitler loved this tiny part of Europe and made it is unofficial centre so there are dozens of places with Nazi stories associated with them. If you are interested in Nazi history at all and consider Berchtesgaden as a place to visit check out the website www.thirdreichruins.com. There are lots stories and then-and-now pictures that my husband wished he had known about before we visited.