Please sign in to post.

Seeking Feedback on Germany Itinerary for July 2024 Trip

Hai everyone,
Planning a two-week trip to Germany in July 2024 with my best friend and would appreciate some constructive feedback on our itinerary. We will fly into Frankfurt and spend a couple of days exploring the city before taking a train to Dresden for four days. We are interested in hiking the Malerweg, despite not being experienced hikers, and would love to hear opinions on this plan. Next, we will travel to Berlin for a minimum of six days, with our top priorities being the Berlin Cathedral, Jewish Museum, East Side Gallery, and experiencing the city's nightlife. Lastly, we intend to return to Frankfurt for the final two days, with a day trip to Heidelberg to visit the castle.
Thank You[.][1]

Posted by
7327 posts

Did you consider flying to Berlin, or only home from Frankfurt? "Multi- City" on the airline site.

Posted by
8947 posts

Did you have any priorities or special interests in Frankfurt? Which museums did you want to visit? Were you interested in any of the Jewish Heritage sites? What about any of the small towns around Frankfurt? Medieval architecture or churches or of historic interest? Romans, Celts, Middle ages? Did you also want to hike in the Taunus Mountains or along the Rhein?
The more you tell us, the better answers you will receive.

Posted by
465 posts

The Elbsandsteingebirge is mostly good hiking even for those without experience. The routes are clearly marked as easy, medium, and hard. Since you said four days, I am assuming you aren't doing the full 8 day route and are only doing sections of it. The Bastei is the most famous section, and it can be done pretty easily. We did it as an afternoon round trip from the town of Rathen, and it didn't take all that long, even with a stop for lunch, lots of photos, etc. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend taking the time to ride the ferry across the Elbe in Rathen. It is powered only by the current and has no engine (okay, it HAS one, but it isn't used). Cool experience.

Will you have a car? You mentioned the train to Dresden--were you also planning to train beyond (to Wehlen / Rathen / Königstein / elsewhere)? Stay in those places?

Also, were you planning to spend any time in Dresden itself?

Posted by
6658 posts

Regarding your plan to return to Frankfurt and then head to Heidelberg... In lieu of Heidelberg I'd suggest a visit to the UNESCO World Heritage Middle Rhine Valley for your castle experience. Dozens of them line the cliffsides of the Rhine Gorge, and you can either cruise the river for the scenic views or ride the train lines which serve both river banks. ALSO, you can take a tour of an intact medieval castle in the town of Braubach: The Marksburg.

http://www.loreley-info.com/eng/rhein-rhine/walking-hiking.php

Heidelberg's castle is a set of ruins - it was destroyed in the 1600's. It's not a bad place to visit, but I think you'll get more out of the Rhine Valley. Wiesbaden or Mainz make good base towns for visiting and are just 25 minutes from FRA airport by direct train.

Posted by
80 posts

Definitely spend some time in Dresden as well - I am sure you will enjoy (the obvious highlights like art museums, churches etc. aside) the vibrant nightlife in the Neustadt (New Town) district and the concerts/open air cinema by the river (stunning location).

I would not strictly follow the Malerweg trail but pick the most interesting sections. Sometimes this trail makes detours only to take you to a tourist trap. Four days (and one at least reserved for Dresden) mean only three days hiking which is barely enough to cover the highlights of the Malerweg and nearby natural wonders (and maybe a castle or picturesque village, too.)