Please sign in to post.

Same train Nuremberg to Frankfurt, but different duration

Departing Nuremberg at 7:12 on 14 October, arriving at Frankfurt Flughafen

Bahn.de shows DB arriving at 9:36
GoEuro shows a DB arriving at 9:19
OnlyTrain shows ICE arriving at 9:19
All 34,90 Euro

Are they all the same train?
Why are some indicated DB and others CIE?
Why are two indicated at DB but with different times.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Posted by
19092 posts

DB is Deutsche Bahn or German Rail, the company that runs the trains in Germany. ICE is Intercity Express, one of the trains run by DB. The DB website shows an ICE from Nürnberg to Frankfurt Flughafen (Fernbahnhof), arriving at 9:36. As of right now, DB shows an advance purchse, Sparpreis (Savings) fare of 29,90€ available for that train.

That ICE arrives in Frankfurt first at the Hbf a 9:19, then goes on to the airport long distance (Fern) station at 9:36.

Posted by
6644 posts

The DB site shows the ICE leaving 7:12 and arriving 9:19 at Frankfurt's main station, then at 9:36 at FRA airport. It's the same train as you see on the other sites, but either you aren't using "Frankfurt Flughafen" at those other sites, or the other sites aren't sophisticated enough to offer you an AIRPORT arrival time, but the train arrives at 9:36 at FRA.

DB is the company name. ICE is the train type (inter-city express.)

Posted by
19092 posts

Using GoEuro, if you type in Frankfurt, the pulldown doesn't show the airport, just the Hbf. He probably got the Hbf by default. OnlyTrains shows the airport, but it is down the list; Hbf is at the top.

I can think of no reason to use GoEuro or OnlyTrains or any other 3rd party site instead of the German Rail website. It's German Rail that creates the tickets; other sites are just resellers and copy the information from German Rail.

All 34,90 Euro

All? Who shows 34,90€? The actual ticket price shown on the Bahn and TrainsOnly is 29,90€. TrainsOnly shows 35,90€ because they want to sell you a seat reservation (4,50€ on DB) for 6€, a profit for them. I don't know about GoEuro because they would only show me the schedule if I downloaded their software, which I would not do. It probably includes some kind of tracking software, or worse.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the quick responses. I see the difference is that some of the itineraries were shown to HBF and others to the Flughafen.

I listed the 35,90 because I was buying a seat because it is a 2 hour ride.
Is that not necessary? Are there always seats available?

Posted by
268 posts

Is there a reason you are posting this question on two separate sites (Tripadvisor and here), which means that people on one site will not be aware the answer has already been given on the other one and waste their time by answering again?