Please sign in to post.

Salzburg to Munich via Konigssee then to route 304

Okay,,,this sound like fun on a Friday Sept 13 .?
Leaving Salzburg then driving through Berchtesgaden to Lake Konigssee. I know we will not have hours there but just to visit that whole stunning area is I think still worth it. Then 306 to Traunstein and 304 through Wasserburg into Munich. Dropping car off and our hotel is across from Hauptbahnhof.
Traffic on Friday afternoon near Munich .? Other routes preferable?

I am looking for suggestions for interesting towns/places along 304. I know there is Chiemsee,.
What towns are cute, have places of interest .And how long will this little trip take ?
I figure entering Munich 6-7pm..I would suspect traffic, how bad ?,
Thank you !
Rich

Posted by
797 posts

Only as a thought ... if you take the more direct route to Munich passing the Chiemsee, you can get off at Prien and take a boat to the Schloss Herrenchiemsee which is one of Ludwig’s castles. It is based on Versailles and the tour is very well done, even shows what the unfinished sections of a castle look like. (Ludwig died before it was finished). My German cousins rate it much higher than NeuSchwanstein which they dismiss as mere theater). One of my bucket list items is to tome a trip that would let us go to a concert there and list to Mozart in the hall of mirrors by the light of 10,000 candles. The route you are planning certainly has its merits but it will be a long day behind the wheel.