Please sign in to post.

Salzburg to Berlin

My husband and I and another couple will be in Salzburg 2-5 May departing 6 May for Berlin. Any recommendations on the best way to travel (train, air) to Berlin? The flights we have checked seem expensive.

Thank you!

Posted by
3978 posts

I see one cheap flight:

Easy Jet has a single non-stop flight on 6 May that departs Salzburg at 14:30 and arrives at Berlin Shoenefeld at 16:10. The "standard fare" is €44.02/person if all 4 tickets are bought together (a 15 pound transaction fee is applied to each transaction and spread across the tickets purchased -- so, if you and the other couple purchase tickets separately, they are more expensive). That fare includes only a cabin bag (US-size carry-on is okay) -- there is an extra cost for seat selection (€5 for regular seat) and a checked bag (€20-40 depending on size).

Even with the cheap fight, I personally would take the train.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks everyone! I think we will take the train but was concerned about the transfer time. There is only 13 minutes to get from platform 12 to 18. Is that sufficient time?

Posted by
2457 posts

You can download a layout of Munich Hbf here: https://www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof-de/M%C3%BCnchen_Hbf-1023144 (scroll down and click on "Lageplan PDF").

The distance between track #12 and #18 ist approx 50 meters. Even if you add 2 x 100m in case you are sitting in a tail car in the train incoming from Salzburg and are going to a car on top of the Berlin train (recommended if you don't have a reservation) you will have to cover 250m in 13 min. That does not seem to be an opportunity to shine your sprinter qualities. Have a nice trip.

BTW, book your tickes asap; prices will go up.