Please sign in to post.

Salzburg for a day

What are the best recommendations for one day in Salzburg? We will be coming from our hotel base in Berschtegaden, either by car or train (still undecided - will see how we get along driving once there). I have found a good Park and Drive option for driving into Salzburg - however, i digress.
One day - probably arrive mid morning and leave early evening. Classical music not particularly our thing. Want to make the most of one day.
Thanks.

Posted by
6321 posts

There is so much to do in Salzburg that you really don't need a specific plan. When I was there with a friend some years ago, we mostly walked around and enjoyed the markets, the musicians and the beautiful buildings and scenery. I do recommend Mirabell palace and gardens, and there is also Schloss Hellbrunn. You can go up to the Hohensalzburg fortress via the funicular, which looked interesting (I have a fear of heights so I did not go). Salzburg Cathedral is gorgeous and worth a stop. You can also do a Sound of Music tour if that's your thing.

We had dinner at Augustiner Brewery, which is a huge brewery started by Augustine monks in 1621. This is not a “sit down and order” restaurant – instead you visit one of the many food stands scattered throughout the buildings, pick what you want to eat and carry it to your table. If you want a beer, you pay at the beer stand, pick up a large stone mug and take it to get filled from the large wooden barrel that all Augustiner beer is stored in.

Posted by
901 posts

We stayed two nights in Salzburg which is postcard worthy in its beauty. The other sights mentioned here are worth visiting. I loved our hike https://www.alltrails.com/austria/salzburg. I think it was the Kindertrail (they must have hardy children there). It was twisty and windy and breathtaking (not literally). You could look down on Salzburg from many of the different twists in the trail. We also visited Lanz of Salzburg which is just a small shop. Prices there were much higher than in the US. Their items are of great quality, so I had to take a peek inside. I actually enjoyed Salzburg more than Vienna.

Posted by
189 posts

Was just in Salzburg in March and it was fantastic! Went to Mirabell, Hohensalzburg, Mozart Haus, Cathedral on a day trip.

Mirabell - did not go inside but outside was stunning.

Hohensalburg - rode the funicular up and down. At the top, there are views of the river and Old Town on one side and views of the Alps on the other.

Mozart Birth - Getreidegasse is a beautiful little road that runs parallel to the river. A plus that one of the most famous musicians of all time was born here.

Cathedral - Nice but not as beautiful as some I’ve seen.

Heading into my time in Salzburg, I was concerned that Salzburg would be a one trick pony and Sound of Music was its only trick, I was wrong and Salzburg turned out to be amazing.

As a traveler, I usually have researched destinations thoroughly, have everything planned out, advanced tickets downloaded to my phone, etc. This time I didn’t but I still had a great time. In short, you don’t need a plan to have a great visit.

Highly recommend!

Posted by
27 posts

Maybe this thread moved to the part of this forum about Austria? Then you can receive more answers.

Posted by
99 posts

Jump on bus 840 at the Berchtesgaden train station. Takes 50 minutes and drops you off in the old town area of Salzburg. Right across the street from the river. Ask the person in the little store at the Berchtesgaden train station about parking at the station. It is free. Also when you get off at the bus in Salzburg check the schedule right at the stop and it will show you the time to catch the bus going back. Don’t take the train and don’t drive.