Please sign in to post.

safety

anyone feel unsafe anywhere in germany?

Posted by
2252 posts

No, never. I love the country and have spent quite a bit of time in various locations from large(r) cities to tiny towns. Berlin is one of my favorites places in Europe to spend a week or two or more.

Posted by
5384 posts

No, why would anyone feel unsafe in Germany? It is one of the safest countries in the world.

Posted by
11507 posts

Quite a broad question , a entire country ?

What is your specific fear?

Is there anywhere in the United States or Canada that a person might fell unsafe ? Impossible question to answer isn’t it ?

Posted by
2233 posts

No real need to feel unsafe. We have no no-go areas in Germany and even the internationally compared low crime ratio declined in the last years. Furthermore due to strict regulation firearms are not sold to everybody, only to firearms licensed people.

If you read about "dangerous places" in Germany please be informed that German police is allowed to define areas as "crime affected" (in German "kbO" or "kriminalitätsbelastete Orte") which just give them advanced rights to check person's IDs, use enhanced surveillance measures (e.g. video) or to work in civil clothes. Even these places are almost very safe.

Of course also in Germany like in most European countries you will find tricky and well educated pickpockets at crowded and tourist places. Police of Cologne has a good info flyer on pickpocket prevention. Even in this some tricks are not listed.

In the interest of your own safety feeling do not trust any posts on social media about what happened, especially not on Facebook and Whatsapp. English press aricles from anonymous authors like posted above have the same low quality of real information. They just create fear to sell clicks.

Posted by
2233 posts

Which car drives 200 mph? Most cars are limited to 250 km/h (155 mph) which is easy going under right conditions. In southern and western Germany you will seldomly find these conditions. More dangerous are unexperienced drivers from foreign countries on German Autobahn and other streets.

Posted by
8942 posts

I live here and feel safe anywhere I would happen to go in Germany. At any time of the day or night, in any city, and in any neighborhood.

Why are you even asking this?

Posted by
14507 posts

Why would I feel unsafe in Germany, ie, in terms of getting " jacked " in the streets American style? Totally groundless in 47 years of traveling there, practically all of it solo.

Posted by
268 posts

I have, occasionally, felt unsafe (e.g. due to fireworks on New Years Eve in a busy street, or due to drunk football fans at a railway station). But that was a slight discomfort rather than fear for my life. Crime does occur in Germany, it's not paradise; and one should use common sense.

It's just important to put this into perspective: Compared to many other countries (including the US), there is less violent crime. Even looking at traffic, the number of fatalities per kilometer driven is much lower in Germany than in the United States - despite the high speeds on the Autobahn. If you generally feel safe in the US (I do), you should feel safe in Germany.

Posted by
32752 posts

Being in the left hand lane in a Trabant with a full speed Bugatti Veyron closing on me at warp speed by Jeremy Clarkson but my escape lane is blocked by trucks! That would be very unsafe! Especially if the Trabant was in smoke-making mode.

(Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 Super Sport top speed is 431.072 km/h or 267.856 mph.)

Posted by
8293 posts

Could the OP please come back and tell us the reason for the question? It is sort of just hanging there as we all wonder “why such a worry”

Posted by
14507 posts

This story is pretty dated and it was a different time in Germany in the summer of 1992 when I was taking the S-Bahn at night. This was in Hamburg. At one station it "seem" that there would be the potential for a rumble to break out on the S-Bahn platform I was on. It was a Sat, crowded, some punk wanna-be types also there.

One punk wanna-be guy was purposely taunting this guy, saying, "Was gibt's denn?" (What's up?) over and over to him. The guy didn't answer back. I watched this scene unfold until I thought I'm getting out of here before a rumble does brake out and turns into a free for all as the S-Bahn train rolls in. My S-Bahn train came in first.

Posted by
782 posts

I have traveled to Germany many times and have always Felt safe,more so than some places in the States.
Mike

Posted by
996 posts

I always exercise normal precautions when I am in large cities and crowded tourist areas. I mind my surroundings. I keep hold of my purse because I'd hate to lose my water bottle & Kleenex. ;-)

But I do that in every large city/tourist area, regardless of whether I am in the United States or abroad.

I felt Germany was a very safe country to visit.

Posted by
32206 posts

diane,

I've never felt "unsafe" anywhere in Germany. I'm sure there are parts of larger cities that one shouldn't venture into at night (that's true even in my area), but I've found the areas most frequented by tourists to be completely safe.

Posted by
117 posts

I am a single woman (in 50's) and traveled solo around Germany this past October and felt completely safe. As I do here in the US, I exercise common sense and am aware of my surroundings. In fact, I probably felt more safe in Germany than I would in Henderson, NV.