Please sign in to post.

Rick steves Gemany 2015 vs 2016 and others guide books

Hi !

I already have Rick Steve Germany 2015 travel guide (ebook version). I want to know if I should buy the 2016 edition. Is there's a lot of changes between them ?

I'm also looking to get another guide book. i know that Lonely planet just relese a new edition of their germany Guide. I'm thorn between that new lonely planet and the Michelin green guide .

If you got any other recommandation they are welcome !

Posted by
3580 posts

For updated info go to the bottom of this page to Travel Help and Guidebook Updates.

Posted by
1068 posts

I like DK Travel Guides as they provide a very different slant than RS. IMHO, the DK Guides tend to put just about everything in their books (even very minor sights) and have lots of pics with nice descriptions. There are a few walking tours etc. I use the DK guide for planning at home and take relevant pages of RS when I am overseas.

Posted by
12040 posts

Very little tends to change year to year in most guidebooks except updates to the opening hours and costs. You should always look up these online anyway.

I like the Eyewitness Guides because they provide a far larger geographic scope than the RS books and if a picture is worth a thousand, they have them in spades. They don't tend to hold your hands and guide you as tightly as RS, but depending on your perspective, this could be a good or bad thing.

The Michelin guides, both red and green, tend to provide the largest geographic coverage, but they have the disadvantage that towns and cities are listed alphabetically, not by region.

Lonely Planet prints a new edition every year, but it's often just a new cover. I've found that sometimes they barely even proofread the new editions, much less do new research.

Posted by
14521 posts

Hi,

I don't use Lonely Planet but would heartily suggest for an additional guide Rough Guide Germany including the one specifically on Berlin. The Michelin Guide guide is also valuable, found information on sites not included elsewhere.

Posted by
32212 posts

If you've already got the 2015 edition of the Germany guidebook, I doubt that there would be enough changes to justify buying the 2016 edition. Check the "guidebook updates" section of the website and make a note of those.

Posted by
1068 posts

So the OP is clear, DK Guides and Eyewitness guides are the same thing.

Posted by
1482 posts

Everyone has a favorite. Mine is the Michelin Green Guides for the sights. I start with the maps in the front to orient myself as to location. To find hotels and restaurants, it is hard for me to beat the internet. When I formerly travelled by car, I liked the ADAC StraßenAtlas for picking scenic routes and small scenic towns along the way. Gary