Please sign in to post.

Rhine in Flames

Has anyone been to this and what was your experience. love fireworks but we are leaning towards group, organized tours and I haven't found any that include this.
Thanks

Posted by
3985 posts

I spent a week on the Rhine in September 2018; my time there included the St Goar/St Goarshausen Rhine in Flames event. I enjoyed the wine festival and the fireworks. I stayed at Patersberg, up above St Goarshausen and watched the fireworks from there. The local volunteer fire dept grilled/sold sausages and drinks before the fireworks; it was a pleasant atmosphere. The fireworks show had to be toned down a little due to a drought in the area. I definitely enjoyed the fireworks, but I wouldn't call it a life-transforming experience. I don't think Rhine in Flames alone would tip me from taking a group tour to making an independent trip.

Posted by
3985 posts

One more thing... if you haven't already done so, you can search "Rhein in Flammen XXXX" on YouTube (where XXXX = city of choice). There is full video of just about all the Rhine in Flames/Rhein in Flammen fireworks shows. It will give you a better sense of what they are like.

Posted by
259 posts

When we went we took a cruise excursion departing oh maybe 6 or 7pm from Bingen returning midnight or after. I'd guess there are similar offerings from places up and down the Rhine. Our whole trip was independent but I'd think if you could be on a group tour that coincided with such an opportunity just take the evening on your own. It is a pretty impressive sight I suspect even more so if you really like fireworks.