Please sign in to post.

Rhine cruise

My wife and I are signed up for a 2020 GAS tour. After landing in Frankfurt (FRA) at 10am on a Wednesday we'll spend that night in Bacharach, getting there by train. We'll arrive in Trier a day (Fri) before our tour meets.

Between Bacharach and Trier we'd like to cruise the Rhine instead of taking the train for a more leisurely pace. After checking out of the Bacharach hotel, could we then hop on a boat to cruise up the Rhine, getting off somewhere down the river and continue our trip to Trier via train?

Thanks, Jay

Posted by
7029 posts

Sure, you could take the boat from Bacharach to Koblenz and then take the train from there to Trier.

Posted by
4 posts

Nancy, what are the connections like in Bacharach and Koblenz? Is it much of a walk between boat dock and train station? How often do the boats leave Bacharach?

Posted by
6637 posts

Cruising to Koblenz is possible but generally less desirable than a shorter cruise. The scenery goes downhill as you approach Koblenz, and it's better to stick with the most spectacular part of the river.

And that best part of the river is from Bingen to St. Goar (or to Boppard, further north.)

Map of the core scenic area, where the demand for cruises is strongest:

https://gruppentouristik.com/sites/default/files/anbieter%202/Bingen-Rüdesheimer%20Fähr-%20und%20Schiffahrtsgesellschaft/Rheinlauf.jpg

So if you just jump on a boat in Bacharach you are guaranteed to miss half the best scenery.

From there you will need to catch a train south to Bingen Rhein stadt station, walk to the boat docks, and cruise north to either St. Goar (Rheinfels Castle ) or Boppard, then catch a second train back to Bacharach.

It's a little easier if you stay in St. Goar, Boppard or Bingen - then you have just one train ride. The town with the finest river scenery, and hotels that allow you to enjoy the view, is St. Goar. Here's a view from the St. Goar side across the river. If you stay there, you can of course still pay a visit to Bacharach if you like by stepping off the train on the way to Bingen, or off the boat on the way back to St. Goar. St, Goar is also convenient since Rheinfels Castle is right there (tour it any time you like.)

Bacharach's hotels are unfortunately all set well back from the waterfront behind the railway.

One good sightseeing option after the cruise is to take a tour of intact Marksburg Castle - the best Rhine castle of all. To do that you cruise to St. Goarshausen instead of St. Goar (just opposite each other on the river) and then take the 20-minute train ride to Braubach.

Map with railways showing the train route to Braubach:
http://www.loreley-info.com/eng/rhein-rhine/walking-hiking.php

In high season, KD cruises from Bingen leave at 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 14:30 and 16:30 - about 1.5 hours to St. Goar or St. Goarshausen, abouit 2.3 hrs to Boppard.

Bingen-Ruedesheimer cruises at 11:15 and 1:15 fill in the lunch hour gap in the KD schedule:
https://www.bingen-ruedesheimer.de/pub/media/wysiwyg/Fahrplan_2020/Fahrplan_DE/Loreleyfahrt_Fahrplan.pdf

It is possible to do your cruise ON THE WAY to your hotel from FRA airport that first day...

Train to Bingen Rhein Stadt station, walk a few minutes with bags to dock, board with bags and cruise to St. Goar - then check in at a hotel there. Or if you can't get out of your Bacharach reservation, catch the train in St. Goar back south to Bacharach (10 min. ride, hourly service.)

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much, Russ. You told me just about everything I need to know.

Based on your excellent information I've decided to go with one of your suggestions to get off the train in Bingen and board a boat to St. Goar. Now, I need to cancel my reservation in Bacharach and reserve a room in St. Goar.

Any recommendations for where to stay in St. Goar?

Posted by
6637 posts

Have a look at the Rheinhotel St. Goar or the Hotel Rheinfels for starters.

St. Goar also has a ferry crossing that runs around 3 times each way every hour. If you want to visit Marksburg from a St. Goar base, rather than right after your cruise, you can use that ferry to St.. Goarshausen and catch a train from there to Braubach. Time it so that you have at least 10-15 minutes between the St. G'hausen ferry dock and the departing train to Braubach. Marksburg tours in English are at 1 and 4 pm daily.

https://faehre-loreley.de/fahrplan/#tabs_desc_8773_2

Posted by
4 posts

I was just now looking at the Hotel Rheinfels website. Very conveniently located directly across the road from the boat dock. Rated #2 at TripAdvisor.

So very grateful for your help, Russ!