Please sign in to post.

Restaurants in Tegernesee

Will be in Tegernesee for 3 nights. Traveling with 2 sons ages 5 years and 3 years. We will have a car. Looking for something cozy, local. Thanks

Posted by
2333 posts

My personal preferences:

in Tegernsee: the "Bräustüberl" in the former Abbey
in Rottach: Zum Rosser (and then there is the upscale, quite good and quite expensive Bachmair)
in Gmund: Gut Kaltenbrunn (beer garden); Gasthof Maximilian
in Dürrnbach, 2 km north of Gmund there is the historical Wirtshaus Jennerwein

There are beach restaurants in Tegernsee (north of the town at the road to Munich) and in Gmund (same road, just befor the village), which may be convenient with children. I like the food in the one at Gmund better but the Tegernsee one has the better location.

South of Kreuth there is the Siebenhütten Almwirtschaft (bien rustique but very nicely situated in the forest); accessible on foot in 30 min from the Siebenhütten parking lot on the road from Kreuth towards the Austrian border.

Posted by
980 posts

In addition to what sla posted I would also recommend:

• Kloster Reutberg as I previously recommended. They have a nice terrace eating area with great views and a small playground for your kids.
  • Weinbauer in the basement of the Hotel Bellevue across the lake in Bad Weissee is very good and family friendly.
  • There are also nice cafes along the lake in each town, just ask you hotel for recommendations.
Posted by
2333 posts

There are also nice cafes along the lake in each town

Oh yes! Don't miss Café Wagner in Gmund and try the fantastic Millirahmstrudel (transl?).

Posted by
980 posts

Don't miss Café Wagner in Gmund

Agreed! When I'm catching the train in Gmund I usually arrive 45mins early just so I can go here for a coffee and cake!

Posted by
146 posts

@sla019 Thanks for the recommendation! Is this a place I would go for breakfast, dessert, cup of coffee? Thanks!

Posted by
2333 posts

In which one of the Tegernsee villages you will be staying?

Posted by
146 posts

@sla You recommended Bräustüberl. I see that it is highly rated in TripAdvisor. I was thinking it might be a tourist trap and there would be better options that the locals enjoy. But I am glad to see that you like it. I should put it on my list to visit. also, I am very interested in visiting the Wagner cafe. When do people have cake and coffee? What time of day? Where I am from, it is topical after dinner but I see they close at 6pm. Thanks again!

Posted by
2333 posts

The Bräustüberl is not a tourist trap. It's the traditional Bavarian Wirtshaus in Tegernsee (my wife worked 15 years as a high school teacher in the same building, the historical abbey, so we know it a bit). It is owned the Wittelsbach family, i.e by descendants of the family of King Ludwig II.

Now - cafés: Wagner in Gmund has the best cake for my taste, followed by Café Krupp in Rottach-Egern (Leo-Slezak-Str, not far form the main street, quiet garden). A bit outside of the center of Rottach in a very nice ambiente there is Café Angermeier. In Tegernsee I know only the Aran, which is good, but a bit pretentious and maybe not the place where children feel good (your grandma might like it). Most cafés open at breakfast time and close early in the evening (between 6 and 8pm). Personally, for breakfast I'd go to a bakery, which is way more cost effective. In Tegernsee, I like the Schinagl (Steinmetzplatz, on the road from the lake up to the train station; just google for "Baeckerei Schinagl Tegernsee").

BTW, an addition to the list of restaurants established by @DJ and me so far: above lake Schliersee (15 km from Tegernsee) there is the Schliersbergalm, a mountain restaurant with a play ground and a swimmingpool for children. You can go up by cable car (just a 5 mins. ride) and down by a luge (when our children were younger, that was one of their favourite places).

Posted by
146 posts

@sla wow! Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. As a day trip one day we were thinking of going to Achensee and riding the cog train. What are your thoughts?

Posted by
146 posts

@sla. Thank you for all of your kind recommendations. If I could bother you with a couple more questions.

1. We would like to rent a boat and take it around the lake. Is this possible? Do you know of places that will rent the boats?

Thank you!

Posted by
32752 posts

I put "bootsverleih tegernsee" into Google and came up with several options. Try it and click through to see what's on offer.

Sounds like a great holiday. I've saved several of the comments for my next trip to the area.

Posted by
2333 posts

We would like to rent a boat and take it around the lake. Is this possible? Do you know of places that will rent the boats?

In every village around the lake, there is at least one boat rental. However, I dont't think there are motor boats for rent, only electro boats (and rowboats, of course), of which I'm not sure the speed and capacity will be sufficient to take you around the entire lake (there are, of course, round trips by the stately boat company).

As a day trip one day we were thinking of going to Achensee and riding the cog train. What are your thoughts?

That will be great fun (dry weather provided), especially if there are fans of old fashioned steam trains in your family. Moreover, at the terminus (Seepsitz) the train connects to boats for a round trip (two hours or so, i think) on the lake. I'd go all the way down to Jenbach in the morning, leave the care there and take the train uphill. Then you could in the afternoon visit the delightful small town of Rattenberg (approx 10 km NE) or even Hall in Tirol (235 km SE).

Posted by
146 posts

@sla That will be great fun (dry weather provided), especially if there are fans of old fashioned steam trains in your family. Moreover, at the terminus (Seepsitz) the train connects to boats for a round trip (two hours or so, i think) on the lake. I'd go all the way down to Jenbach in the morning, leave the care there and take the train uphill. Then you could in the afternoon visit the delightful small town of Rattenberg (approx 10 km NE) or even Hall in Tirol (235 km SE).

• If I take the train at Jenbach, where will it take me? Will it bring us back roundtrip to the car? Then once we are back we go to Battenberg or Hall for lunch?

• Terminus Seepsitz and the boat trip would be a different activity, correct?

Out of the two, which would be most enjoyable? Thank you!