Please sign in to post.

Restaurant Recommendations

We are going to be staying in Mainz, Boppard, Bad Windsheim, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Munich. Also days trips to Bamberg, Nurnberg. Restaurant recommendations would be great. Any type of food, does not have to be just German. Thank you for your help.

Posted by
2309 posts

Boppard: Unquestionably the best restaurant in B. is the "Bristol" in the Bellevue hotel at the river front (3 course dinner approx €35, advanced booking recommended).

Not much choice in Bad Windsheim. The best is certainly the "Gasthof Storchen". If you are satisfied with a snack, you can get it in the traditional brewery "Döbler" (excellent beer). Otherwise, there are the usual Chinese and Italian places.

Nuremberg: Franconian cuisine at "Weinhaus Steichele" (with a good selection of wines),
in the Königsstraße next to the Tourist Information is the "Sangam", a very good Indian restaurant (avoid the other, purely tourism oriented places in the Köigsstraße like Pillhofer, Kapuziner etc.). A pleasant beer hall is the "Bruderherz" in the Luitpoldstrasse; diagonally opposite is the "Literaturhaus". If restaurants are full, you can always find a place in the well-known "Heilig-Geist-Spital". Below the castle there are numerous so-so small pubs; the better ones include the "Hütt'n" and the brewery "Altstadthof", both on Bergstraße near the Albrecht Dürer House. A much frequented chaine restaurant with international cuisine is the "Alex" on the Hauptmarkt (south side). Vegetarian: "Zeit and Raum", Wespennest 2.

Posted by
6231 posts

I will second the recommendation for Literaturhaus Cafe in Nuremberg. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and everything I ordered was very good. I think I ate there 3-4 times while I was in the city. Nice menu, too - lots of options.