Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Germany

Apologies for a semi-repeat but my question is a little different than last time re: the above subject.

I have a car reserved out of Frankfurt Airport, dropping it in Nuremberg Airport, with Budget via Travelocity. I have tried to find out if the car can be taken across the border to Switzerland AND if I can stick a Swiss motorway vignette on the windshield but to no avail. Travelocity hasn't been helpful and calling the Budget desk in Frankfurt, an international call, was problematic. I have some level of confidence that worst case they will tell me at the rental desk that Budget will ask me to pay a surcharge take the car across the border, and that's fine, but I was trying to square this away before the trip.

In parallel, I am starting to look at alternative rental car companies and am seeing conflicting reviews on the web re: Sixt. In some cases it's rated highly; however, I've also seen lots of recent reviews that are scathing.

Ignoring price, I was wondering what companies people have rented from within the past year with few or no issues and as such you would recommend. Thank you.

Posted by
20172 posts

You should have no issue putting a Swiss vignette sticker on the car. Someone later in the year who rents the car and wants to go to Switzerland will thank you.

I have had np problems with Sixt. In fact, I prefer them.

Posted by
6408 posts

I used AutoEurope last year to book a car with Avis in Germany and they could not have been more helpful. You could get a quote from them online, and include the Switzerland trip to see what the extra cost will be.

I agree that there should be no problem putting the sticker on the windshield

Posted by
5400 posts

We are frequent Sixt renters. Always happy with them. We have never had an issue with placing a toll sticker on a rental.

Posted by
2910 posts

We’ve had very good experiences renting through www.gemut.com

Very very helpful and loads of advice plus great rates.

No company will have any problem with you putting a toll sticker on the windshield. They either leave it or simply scrape it off, just a motor vehicles does when you get your car inspected. I wouldn’t even have a concern with the sticker on the windshield.

Posted by
136 posts

Thanks Paul. In fact, I saw another post re: gemut.com and have been working with them.