Please sign in to post.

Renting A car in germany

Hello everyone,
I will be going back to Germany this fall and was hoping that I would not have to rent a car the entire time as it was very expensive. Do you know if I rent the car in Frankfurt and return it at another location does that cost much more than returning it back to Frankfurt? I was hoping to rent in Frankfurt airport and return in Leipzig.
Thanks for all your help.

Posted by
58 posts

We are going in a couple of weeks and rented a car for 10 days out of our 15 days there. We are picking up in Koblenz (we arrive at Frankfurt airport but going to take the train to our first destination for a few car-free days) and then dropping in Munich (again will take the train to the airport). I didn't find the surcharge a lot....a lot less than taking the time and money to backtrack to the Frankfurt area.
We rented through Europcar which also had a Germany discount when we booked. If you join their rewards program you also get a discount I believe.

Posted by
1441 posts

I rented via gemut.com which is a travel agency in the US. Ask them for a quote.

Posted by
5619 posts

AutoEurope is a 3rd party consolidator. I've been pleased with them. You can reach them by phone and talk over options. What you would need is a car rental company that operates in Frankfurt and Leipzig, Autoeurope would help with that. There should be a few. I've always found the Autoeurope quote to be less than the quote directly from a rental car company. Usually the car we end up with thru Autoeurope is from Europcar. In Europe, our experience is that it hasn't cost much more to drop at a different location IF you pick up and return in the same country.

Posted by
2324 posts

We rented through Hertz using AutoEurope. Picked up in Munich and returned in Frankfurt. There was a one way fee of about 60€.