Please sign in to post.

Regional trains

My family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) will be vacationing in Germany in late July. While we plan to use a car to get to various places, when we arrive at those places we'll be using local transit.

1. Dusseldorf - local train (U-bahn?) in town, train to Cologne (most likely S-bahn)
  2. Rudesheim - KD cruise downstream to St. Goar, local train back
  3. Munich - local trains to get to Dachau, airport

Will I have to purchase different regional and local passes? Does Deutsche Bahn manage all these places or will I need separate tickets/apps? I've read KD offers cruise discounts if you already have a train ticket, but not sure which ticket that covers. I see some transit authorities offer group discounts or family passes but not sure how far they extend.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
6989 posts

The Deutschland Ticket bypasses the need for dealing with individual tickets for trains, S-Bahn, buses, subways, etc. It's valid for all of those for one month at €49 each. It should be good for a K-D discount too.

Posted by
72 posts

Blockquote If "late July" includes also August

It does. Flying back to USA on August 3.

Posted by
1378 posts

You can buy just a day ticket for the trains along the Rhine, and that would allow you to use any of the trains; there's one approximately every 30 minutes.

You can use the Bayern Pass for the whole family while in Munich to do those trips.

But, if you only want to buy one, and use it for everything, get the Deutschland Ticket.