Please sign in to post.

rail passes

I will be buying a rail pass that is a 7 trip in one month. what is the best buy source???

Posted by
19093 posts

I'd shop around to be sure, but Rick's site, which uses RailEurope, seems to have good prices. Be sure to take all cost into account, including shipping costs, if any.

Posted by
32783 posts

Is that for Germany only, or are you talking about a bigger area or even a Global one?

Posted by
19093 posts

If it is only for Germany, a combination of SparPreis tickets and regional passes (Länder-Tickets) will probably cost less than a rail pass. I've been to Germany nine times since 2000, when I last bought a rail pass. Every time, I do the math, and a railpass doesn't come close to being cost effective.

Posted by
836 posts

Two sites:

1. This one is run by the Bundesbahn and is easy to use. It is priced in dollars.
  2. The Bundesbahn main site is priced in euros. The prices are cheaper on this site using the current exchange rate. The site's link to the flexi fares is missing, but here it is.
  3. Probably the easier way to do it is to buy the pass when you arrive, either at the airport or at a large train station.
  4. Bundesbahn occasionally runs sales, so check both sites before you buy. The sale prices might not be available if purchased in-country.
  5. If you are willing to commit to a fixed travel time, it is usually cheaper to buy individual tickets, although you lose flexibility.
Posted by
16893 posts

As I mentioned on your last thread, I don't recommend having the pass mailed from Germany. UPS delivery within the USA is traceable and faster.

Posted by
211 posts

has anyone accessed International rail??? They offer a 7 day/1 mo pass for E364. Any one familiar????

Posted by
20117 posts

Since you can get a 7 day/1 month 2nd cl pass for 272 EUR from Deutsche Bahn, why? Also if there are more than 1 of you traveling together, you can save more with a twin pass, 408 EUR for 2. I don't see any reason to opt for the 1st cl pass, but to each his own.

Posted by
211 posts

Unless I am re ading incorrectly, on www.international train pass, a twin pass for germany is E182 each thus a total of E364 which is less than E408. Am I missing something???? Yes, two of us will travel together at all times (7)

Posted by
20117 posts

The link you give is not to internationalrail.com, but I found it on my own. It is a British company and the price for the German 7day/month twin pass is 182 GBP, not EUR. So there you have your price discrepancy. At the current exchange rate, that comes to the equivalent of 433 EUR for 2, so it is more than what is offered direct from Deutsche Bahn.