Please sign in to post.

Rail Passes

My husband and I have started planning for a two week trip to Germany next year in the fall. We want to take a side trip to Venice for a few days in the middle of the two weeks.

According to our research, round trip first class train fare between Munich and Venice will cost us $416 each. We have done some research and we believe that purchasing the German Railroad Twin Flexi Rail Pass for first class train travel for 4 days in a month might be the way to go (423 euro total).

Are we missing something? We believe that rail pass will apply to the roundtrip to Venice because it is aboard a German train, but we still need to confirm that fact. We also plan to use a train for a short trip earlier in our trip and maybe again once we return to Munich (e.g. daytrip to Dinkelsbuhl).

Has any one had any experience using this particular pass and what are the things we should be thinking about?

Posted by
8889 posts

Where did you get that price from? I am immediately suspicious of any price in '$', because they don't use '$' in Germany or Italy, were you going to a re-seller?

I just did a search on the DB (German Railways) website ( https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml ) for a random day in November (booking for next year not yet available), and I got the following price (out Monday, back Friday):

München Hbf Venezia Santa Lucia dep: 11:34
Venezia Santa Lucia München Hbf dep: 13:50
2 travellers, (Age: 50, 50 Years) 1st class
279,60 EUR

That is the price for both of you!
I would also say 1st class is not necessary, 2nd class is perfectly adequate.

For Dinkelsbühl you can buy a Bayern Ticket, a one-day pass for the whole of the state of Bavaria, for €31 for 2 people.

Before you consider buying a rail pass, read this webpage: https://www.seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm#railpass-or-point-to-point-tickets

Posted by
6643 posts

The GRP will get you to Venice if you pick the right trains.

You can also pre-purchase saver-fare tickets well in advance at bargain prices. Look at April 14, 2018 for example, at the DB itinerary page - €69.90 each way per person from Munich to Venice in first class or €49.90 in 2nd. Prices for these tickets rise as tickets sell and require a commitment to take trains at a certain hour on a certain day.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

You cannot take a train to Dinkelsbühl - no train service there. There may or may not be a convenient bus connection - check the schedule. But other day trips by train within Bavaria can be done very cheaply with a BAyern Ticket. day pass (€15.50 each for a couple.)

If you decide on the rail pass don't buy it now - buy it just before you leave or in Germany. Refunds involve a substantial fee.

Posted by
5385 posts

$416 each is ridiculous. Where are you looking? You might want to consider flying as the distance is significant. Venice is hardly a “side trip” from Munich.

Posted by
8447 posts

Is that initial assumption correct, that a German rail pass is valid all the way to Venice? I don't think so.

Posted by
20103 posts

Another reason not to buy a GRP now is that there can be a special offered by Deutsche Bahn between now and next summer. They've done that in the past.

Dinkelsbuehl is not a good day trip from Munich as it takes almost 4 hours to get there with regional trains and a bus. On a week day, the earliest you could leave is 9:35 so you would not get there until 1:30 pm. A hybrid, would be to buy a ticket to Donauwoerth for 42.20 EUR for two on the 7:34 Regional Express, and a Bayern Ticket for 31 EUR EUR. When you get to Donauwoerth, you continue after 9:00 to Noerdlingen using the Bayern Ticket, then bus to Dinkelsbuehl, arriving at 10:15. You can return with the Bayern Ticket in the evening. This is all based on the current schedule.

As far as validity to Venice, this bit of verbiage from the DB website explains, My boldface.

Area of validity
Valid on all trains operated by Deutsche Bahn including the stations Basel Bad Bf (Switzerland) and Salzburg (Austria) and the ICE to Lüttich and Brussels (Belgium). In Austria and Italy on the EuroCity trains operated by DB and ÖBB to Kufstein, Innsbruck, Bolzano/Bozen, Trento, Verona, Bologna and Venice (DB-ÖBB EuroCity train)

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. We will continue our planning and research for the trip using the links and resources you have suggested. It seems that a rail pass might not be the way to go. I will use the DB website directly in the future.

Posted by
6643 posts

"Is that initial assumption correct, that a German rail pass is valid all the way to Venice? I don't think so."

The German Rail pass now includes specific routes to destinations in 10 additional neighboring countries. See the map on this brochure from DB.