Please sign in to post.

Rail pass question

Are the flex passes for rail travel available only by using the app? Or can you still use a paper version? I'm a bit of a Luddite and don't use apps much.

Posted by
5322 posts

What kind of "flex passes" are you referring to?

Posted by
14758 posts

I use only the paper version of a flex Pass...definitely no apps. Too much moeny lost on a continuous Pass, no flexibility there.

First of all, plan your trip well to see if a Pass really is for you and your travel style...for me, no doubt, no problems.

I get only the 15 day/2 month Senior Global Pass for a trip lasting at least 7 or 8 weeks. The last two trips were 9 and 11 weeks, which worked well.

If you watch for promos that pop up from to time, get the Pass.. I did. With the senior discount plus the promo discount, i got 25% off the price, making the daily travel expense 23 Euro after dividing the total Euro price by 15 days.

I ended up taking only 2 night trains this time, one of 10.5 hrs , the other somewhat less, had planned on 4 night train rides ( no sleeper or couchette) in the general seating or compartments but inertia and laziness kicked in, so I canceled those night routes...used the Pass for these 2 routes, very convenient, Vienna to Berlin and Berlin to Strasbourg via Offenburg.

Posted by
558 posts

If you mean the often discussed Deutchland Ticket (D-Ticket), then it is app only for us from the US.

I know you don't use apps much. IMO they do make life much easier for traveling in Germany.