Please sign in to post.

Private tours to Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Oberammergau from Munich

We are finishing a Rick Steves tour in June and planning on spending three nights in Munich. We are looking at tours to Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, an Oberammergau with Tours By Locals (.com). Does anyone have any information about this company or recommendations of other tour groups going to these places. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
7209 posts

The "company" is just an umbrella of highly qualified locals who provide tour guide services. 3 nights in Munich is only 2 days...if you want to see Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Oberammergau then why not stay near them? Schwangau is a great place to call home for a few days as is the little village of Ettal both of which are very convenient to your destination.

Posted by
3 posts

I recently posted some similar questions re: Neuschwanstein, tours, etc.(have 3 nights too) from Munich, and got some of the same responses/tips/suggestions about staying closer to the area rather than doing day tours or even driving back and forth to Munich. After thinking about it, seeing how much time is "used up" with a day trip from Munich to those areas, especially with a tour that takes anywhere from 8-10 hours, and you are bound by their time, it does make sense. Just take one of those days and stay nearby. Bus/coach takes close to 3 hours ride each way. 2+ hours if you drive yourself. Train, etc. same thing. Time that could be used for other things. Consensus of opinion, (and now mine lol) especially searching this subject throughout these forums, Make. Fussen, Hohenschwangau, or other close-by town for your base to visit those places. That way, instead of getting up early to catch the coach, ride for over two hours...... You are already there! 10-20 min away if that! Especially if in Hohenschwangau, Neuschwanstein is "just up the hill" The tour itself takes only about 45 min., That seems like a lot of travel time for a 45 min tour. Of course just standing awestruck and taking a thousand pictures is not included in the time, but you get it. I've adjusted my plans. Just something to think about. This is a pretty cool article about the area. Complete Guide to Visiting Neuschwanstein Castle

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will recommend your great suggestions to the others in my group. However, due to various reasons, we may have to keep Munich as the base; I was hoping to hear some feedback (good or bad) about the tour groups that offer day tours to these places. Has anyone ever used Tours By Locals? Are they any good or are there better groups?