Please sign in to post.

Prague to Salzburg

Hello,
I have a German Rail Pass (10 days in one month) and would like to use it to travel by IC bus from Prague to Munich. I would then take a train to Salzburg. The German Rail website says the IC bus does travel from Prague to Munich and is covered by my Rail Pass but when I try to reserve a seat it says reservation impossible. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution.
Thanks

Posted by
19099 posts

This probably isn't the most satisfying answer for you, but I just started the booking process for the 10:00 bus from Prague to Munich for tomorrow and not only were there full fare tickets available with reservations, Saving Fare tickets were also available at 19€, which is about the lowest price. In other words, if you were in Germany, you could get reservations at any ticket counter. It doesn't seem that the bus sells out.

Are you going to be in Germany before going to Prague? If not, you could try calling them +49 1806 99 66 33. You'll hear a recorded greeting with some options, but if you just stay on the line, someone will answer. Just say "English". If that person does not speak English, they will say "moment" and get someone who can.

I think it's possible to get reservations, just not online.

As a last resort, you could buy a ticket for 386 Kc (about $15) for the 9:12 EC from Praha hl.n. to Furth im Wald. Once you were at Furth, your German Rail Pass would cover you the rest of the way on that EC (ALX in Germany) to Munich.

Posted by
2335 posts

The bus fare includes a seat reservation so the latter is not on sale separately. I've never seen, however, a full bus arriving from Praha. If the DB ticket system offers a saver fare of €19 the day before your travel date, you can be pretty sure that the bus will be half empty.

Posted by
19099 posts

From the DB website,

You have a Bahncard100, Interrail-Ticket, Eurail-Ticket or German Rail
Ticket. Then you need to purchase the seat reservation which costs
4,50 € one-way. The reservation can be bought in DB travel centres, at
DB travel agents and at DB ticket machines or on board.

You might also ask about it at salespartner@deutschebahn.com.

Posted by
4637 posts

We don't know when you are going. You can reserve only certain time ahead.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you everyone. You have been very helpful. I will be in Germany on May 2 and traveling from Nurnburg to Prague on May 8th. Sounds like it will be easiest to make my reservation at a train station once I get there.

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, those bus reservations are sold only in stations. You could do it at the same time that you have the pass activated, if you've selected your time. Similarly, while DB sells a separate seat reservation online for most domestic trains (choose "seat only" before you click Search), it does not for most international trains.