Please sign in to post.

Please review my itinerary

We family of 4 (52, 50, 22 and 18) planning to visit Munich/Bavaria, Salzburg, Vienna and Budapest. We will be flying from Greek Island to Munich and flying back to US from Vienna. It is about 17 day trip in last two week of Aug and first week of Sep. We are not planning to Rent a car. Would like to use trains and other transport. . Though it is a Germany travel forum, I thought it is a right place to get some suggestions. please let me know if I need to change any. Should we spend more time in Bavaria than in Vienna?

Day 1: Reach Munich around noon by flight from Santorini. Buy 9euro tickets. Spend the evening time in city center. (visit famous beer hall and the market) Stay night in Munich. Booked a hotel near train station.
Day 2: Day trip to Fussen; visit castles and enjoy the Tegelberg cable car. Stay a night in Fussen. I am also thinking return to Munich by 9 pm; stay night at same hotel.
Day 3: Travel to Salzburg from Fussen via Munich. Reach Salzburg by 1 PM. Check-in the hotel and do city walk in Salzburg. Alternatively, If I stay night in Munich on day 2, we have some time to visit Dachau Concentration camp museum in the morning, prior to heading towards Salzburg. Some family members does not have a heart to visit the camp some are more interested. Stay night in Salzburg, near railway station.
Day4: A day trip to Hallstatt from Salzburg. Night stay in Salzburg
Day5: A day trip to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg. Night stay in Salzburg.
Day 6: Visit Salzburg castle in the morning; After lunch, Travel to Budapest. Reach Budapest by 7 PM. Night stay in Budapest.
Day 7: Visit few top attraction in Budapest. Night stay in Budapest.
Day 8: Visit few attractions in the morning. After lunch Travel to Vienna. Night stay in Vienna.
Day 9: Visit Schonbrunn Palace and other attractions in Vienna..Night stay in Veinna
Day 10: Visit other attractions (museums/cathedrals) in Vienna--night stay in Vienna.
Day 11: head back to USA.

Posted by
6274 posts

Just addressing the notation on Day 1 about buying the €9 tickets: You can buy them ahead of time online - that way you don't have to waste time in Munich buying train tickets. Just go to the Deutsche Bahn website, scroll down to the €9 ticket info, click "Choose Now", then pick your month and book the ticket.

You will need to set up an account but it's very easy and they will email the ticket to you. If you download the DB Navigator app, the tickets will be stored in there, and all you have to do is show the conductor the QR code.

Posted by
17850 posts

It's a bit aggressive a schedule, buy that works for some people. In Budapest, and most of your other stops, you will benefit from a guide to get the most out of your time. I can help with Budapest guide and maybe some ideas on how to use the time.

Posted by
6 posts

James E: Thank you..I realize it is bit aggressive. I got a flight ticket with good fare for the 17 day trip. To make use of the high speed train corridor between Munich and Vienna/Budapest, I come up with this plan.

Any tips/suggestions on guide service at Budapest or other location will help me.

Posted by
4675 posts

That is an aggressive schedule, perhaps too many day trips? I assume you are all morning folks and the young people get up and out early? Also, no flexibility for unfavorable weather.

Would everyone be upset to skip Fussen? You will have beautiful mountain and lake scenery in Hallstatt and Berchtesgaden, and it's much less commercial than Fussen.

I'd suggest staying in the old town in Salzburg, in the pedestrian-only zone. I was just there in April, and it's so nice to go back to the hotel midday and take a little break. Also, family members can go off on their own, perhaps do a little shopping, or return to an interesting site.
Don't forget Salzburg's Augustine's Beer Garden, a 30 minute walk across the hill from the Fortress!

Either way, have a great family trip!

Posted by
7 posts

I think it sounds good. As a solo traveler in my 30s, I’ve spent similar amounts of time in all those places except Budapest. And I haven’t seen the area around Tegelberg. I went to Ludwig’s castles as a day trip from Munich, and it took all my day’s energy to do that. If you choose to stay in Munich on night 2, it might be over ambitious to go to Tegelberg. But by moving to Fuessen, you’ll have to find somewhere to stow luggage in the morning before the castles. But I think the advantage of a Fuessen stay is getting to the castles before the tourist throngs from Munich, so you’d want to stay the night there before you visit the castles?

Posted by
17850 posts

I wasn't being critical of the aggressive nature of the schedule. I've done it a few times myself.

You are going to be amazed at the "high speed rail service" Vienna to Budapest!!! I think the train hits 65 mph on the straight stretches which is how its able to cross 150 miles in an amazing 2.5 hours.