Please sign in to post.

Passion Play in Oberammergau

2020 is the next year for the Passion Play in Oberammergau. My husband and I want to go. We like touring on our own and use Rick Steves tourbooks alot for making plans. Has anyone bought play tickets on their own instead of a tour package? If so, how did you do it?

Posted by
5 posts

Though we usually do all our trips on own own, in 2010 husband & I got package tickets for lunch, bus to/from play, play, overnight after play & breakfast. We looked for just play tickets and did not find and with the number of people going and it being the reason for that trip, were not willing to chance missing it. We stayed at a b&b we arranged on our own in Bad Saulgrub, 2-3 nights, enjoyed the town, band concert, cable car up the mountain, bus to/from & got tickets & saw Neuschwanstein Castle, ox roast with traditional music in nearby village [saw sign for that at lift station]. The day of the play, we went to the train station nearest the town [Bad Kohlgrub] of our package. They met us at the train station, not requested, but they knew that was the last train arrival in time for lunch! Saved us a 15 min walk. The entire experience was excellent. Hotel was wonderful, lunch great, play marvelous, supper at intermission super. We had emailed the hotel because we had found that there was no train from nearby town that would get us to Munich for our flight to Cork. The boyfriend of a daughter of the family who runs the hotel drove us to the train next am. Everything was so well organized, went like clockwork yet they considered our personal needs and we felt the package was well worth it.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you, unfortunately the only packages I've found were for two week tours with the play included.

Posted by
8946 posts

Just registered to get tickets when they go on sale next year. Thanks for posting the link!

There will be small packages being offered in the future, with hotel, meal and play with just 1-2 overnights. Will probably get something like that since it is a bit of a trip from Frankfurt.