Please sign in to post.

Packing

How do we pack for a 3 week trip to Germany without using a suitcase? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick's packing light tips are based on using a bag that is airline carry-on sized (maximum). Does not matter whether that bag has wheels or backpack straps, or maybe even a duffle, though we never use those. What type of carrying device do you hope to use?

A couple of years ago, there was an interesting blog about traveling only with what would fit into the pockets of a Scotvest.

Posted by
5697 posts

Without a suitcase? Use a laundry bag, or a giant Hefty bag.
Seriously, we travelled to Paris, Austria and Germany for a month in winter using a carry-on sized 22" rollaboard and a "personal item" bag each. Read the posts in the Packing section -- plan to do laundry throughout the trip -- make each piece of clothing do multiple duties.

Posted by
19092 posts

What do you mean by "without a suitcase"? Do you mean without a traditional suitcase? Would a convertible soft carry-on bag work? Or do you mean with nothing, no extra clothes? If you don't have anything to put things in, you don't have to pack.

A year ago, I went to Germany for 3 weeks with a Rick Steves Convertible Bag, about 12#, packed.

Posted by
980 posts

Don't pack for every conceivable scenario, limit your choices to what fit in a carry-on.
Plan on wearing clothes many more times than you normally would.
Plan on washing some clothes out in a sink.
Use layers

DJ

Posted by
32206 posts

susan,

It would help if you could elaborate on your "without a suitcase" term. What do you have in mind - carrying all your gear in a "hobo bag" or a black trash bag, stuffed in various pockets of the clothes you're wearing or using a Backpack? Why are you planning to do this without a suitcase?

More information would be really helpful.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi! This is Susan (again!). I should have clarified exactly what I was looking for...whenever we see Steve (on TV), he usually only carries a backpack. When we go to Germany for 3 weeks, our plans include travel via air, train, boat, and car. So, for instance, if we traveled to (via train or car) to take a Rhine cruise, how do we plan for carrying baggage with us? OR, do we just do like previous responses (MUCH APPRECIATED), pack light and do laundry along the way? Thanks so much...this is a GREAT forum!

Posted by
106 posts

I would advice you have a lightweight day pack to relieve some of the weight of a roll on. If you have to go up and down several stairways in train stations the roll on/carry on gets heavy quickly. And yes, plan to do laundry or have it done (you will be on vacation), pack light and layer.

Have fun!

Posted by
5697 posts

When you see Rick in his videos, he is usually touring for the day so carrying a daypack with guidebook pages, water bottle, jacket -- when you see him actually travelling between cities in a video he will have his convertible backpack (suitcase) on his back. And in his books he notes that many people prefer rolling carryon bags.