Please sign in to post.

Packing advice

First time going away for two weeks, and with only a carryon (traveling in August so will be hot). Any packing advice?

Posted by
671 posts

Practice pack a few days before you leave. Take clothes you can layer; even though it "will be hot" you never know if you might need a light jacket. Take less than you think is necessary. Last year in Belgium, I wore the same pants and top for 5 days in a row; no one but my traveling companions knew, and they didn't care. Be prepared to wash a few things in the sink, and take clothes that dry quickly.

Posted by
200 posts

Confirm dimensions of your bag & its weight when fully packed don't exceed airline's restrictions. Use packing cubes to organize your belongings, do an advance packing/lugging around of bag to confirm your ability to lift/heft/tote for the journey in and out of transportation modes/airports. Bring lightweight, breathable fabrics and only clothing items you are comfortable in - nothing that's heavy, hot, ill-fitting. Have footwear options that are broken in and provide adequate support for mileage as well as standing in place.

I write a packing list, including toiletries and do a visual check by laying entire kit and caboodle out on my bed to view the color coordination at play and eliminate any duplications/excess. I generally always try to trim my items further. I don't worry about not looking like the out-of-towner I am, I aim to be comfortably/properly attired for locale, weather and local custom.

Bring sunglasses, hat/visor, sunscreen and a water bottle and have a great summertime trip!

Posted by
2322 posts

Only bring items that you can wash in the sink and that will dry overnight. Test them in advance, and consider how humidity at your destination will alter dry times. Quick dry fabrics for everything, including undies & socks. Linen works great too, assuming you have access to an iron. Cotton socks and undies take forever to dry. Every top goes with every bottom, so you just wear whatever is clean. Two pairs of ultra comfy shoes. Count on your feet swelling due to the heat and lots of walking. Use packing cubes to organize. Cut down on extraneous stuff you “might” need. Everything critical can be found at a grocery or pharmacy.

Here are a couple posts about my trip in June that might be helpful:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/3-weeks-in-summer-what-i-packed-vs-what-i-wore

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/packing/misc-stuff-i-packed-vs-what-i-used

Posted by
2736 posts

Color coordinate your clothes.
Read the packing forum and travel tips—packing.

1)Make a packing list of what you want to take; cut unnecessary things.
2)Test pack.
Repeat numbers 1 and 2 until you get size and weight to fit airline’s specs. That will take several attempts. Update your packing list each time so you don’t forget what goes in your suitcase, what goes in your personal item and what stays home.

It’s a challenge but fun. Have a great trip. Where are you going?

Posted by
332 posts

Wear your heaviest pair of shoes on the plane. In this case it was my hiking shoes. That way I didn't have to lug them around.

Sturdy shoes - cobble stones are everywhere.

Every time we go to Europe, I pack a sink stopper, clothes pins, and a rope to act as a clothesline. Guess what we have never used...

I love my yoga pants for sitting for extended periods of times, but they have no pockets, won't be packing them the next trip. Pockets make everything better.

I discovered I hated my crossbody bag on this last trip. It was heavy and I was over it about week in. My hubby had an extra lightweight backpack that folds up to the size of a tea cup, and I used that for the last part of the trip and it was so much better.

Use this trip to make a master packing list, then come back and take out what didn't work for you.

Even though it is really tempting to leave at least one nice outfit at home, still bring it. I packed a light weight dress and was glad I did, b/c we ate a two Michelin star restaurants that I didn't know about in advance.

Posted by
451 posts

Assume it could be cold, too. Right now it is chilly and very wet here in northern Germany.

Posted by
204 posts

Redbrch,
1. I have replaced all my cotton foundation clothes with synthetics. They are lighter, more compactable, and wash and dry very quickly.
2. Use packing cubes. In addition to compression they are very good for organizing. For example, I pack foundation items for each city in a seperate cube.
3. Consider a laundry day mid-trip. I am going on a month-long trip this autumn and have already planned laundry time and places into my itinerary.
- James

Posted by
8943 posts

I take enough clothes for one week, 7 blouses, one pair of jeans, undies and socks, plus small toiletries. I like cotton blouses because they wash and dry easily with a bit of shampoo, plus they look nicer. Jeans do not have to be washed all the time.
All of it fits nicely in a carry-on. I haven't checked luggage since years.

Posted by
6323 posts

A lot depends on where in Germany you are traveling to. As HowlinMad said, it can be chilly in the north but much warmer in the south, and that certainly will affect what you are packing.

Posted by
4322 posts

I always take silk long underwear to layer under clothes. It doesn't take up much space or weight.