Please sign in to post.

Overnight in Frankfurt

My husband and I arrive at the FRA airport from the US on 05Mar at 8:50am and depart from the airport on 06Mar at 10:25am.

We will be tired, but it would be nice to see something in Frankfurt. Any recommendations on what to do and where to stay? We usually stay at Marriott's, so I thought about the Sheraton at the airport.

Thanks!

Posted by
8934 posts

If you usually stay at a Marriott, why would you stay at the airport Sheraton when there is a great Marriott in the city? Ask for a room with a view.
The city has so much to offer as far as sightseeing, food, markets, and museums. The trains to the airport run every 15 min. and only take 11 min. to get to there.

Visit the Farmers Market on the Konstablerwache (9-1700), in Bornheim on the Berger Strasse (8-16:00), or in Höchst (7-13:00) which is part of the German Half-Timbered Route. Have lunch sitting up on the city walls, admiring the palace and then visit one of the oldest churches in Germany, the Justinus church built in 850.

The flowers might be in bloom at the Palmengarten, there are some great exhibits at the museums especially the Schirn (Magrite) and the Städel (Battle of the Sexes), but you might want to take time to visit the Judengasse Museum with the Jewish Holocaust Remembrance Wall next to it. Stop into the Klein Markt Halle for pastries or sausage, go admire the wall paintings in the Karmeliter Cloister and have dinner in an applewine pub in old Sachsenhausen. (Dauth-Schneider or Atschel)

Posted by
2613 posts

Ms. Jo makes a valid point about you having time to stay in Frankfurt proper. However, if you decide to stay at the airport and just take transit into the city for the day, I can tell you that I just spent the night at the Frankfurt airport. The Hilton, the Hilton Garden Inn and the Sheraton are all right in the mall/train station that is attached to the airport. You can walk to all 3 in just a few minutes. We stayed at the Hilton. I got a good rate of 94 Euros with my AAA card. It's really a pretty hotel with cool light fixtures in the lobby. The rooms were extremely nice. The Hilton Garden Inn is literally right next door to the Hilton.

Posted by
36 posts

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. Marriott has purchased Sheraton, so that is why I mentioned staying there. I thought it would be easier for our morning flight, but I agree that the city would be more enjoyable.

What is the best transportation if we want to see those sights since we have limited time? We could stay at a different hotel if the Marriott isn't in a convenient location. I need to check the price as well or see if I can book with points.

Posted by
8934 posts

The Marriott has a tram stop right in front of it. You can take the trams 16 on to the main station and on over to Sachsenhausen, or switch to a different tram, 11 or 12 that goes into the city center. Alternative is to walk across the street from the hotel to the Festhalle and take the U-5 to the Dom/Römer stop (3 stops). This puts you in the middle of the old town area.

If you are coming in from the airport by S.bahn, get a group day ticket and you can then use it all day in Frankfurt too. Cost is 16.80 and it is valid for up to 5 people. To go back to the airport, get 2 one way tickets for 4.80 each.

Posted by
814 posts

I would consider a walking tour. It is a much more efficient way of seeing a city rather than just randomly walking around. I took this one last fall & thought it was very well done. I think Ms. Jo is part of this company.

Posted by
36 posts

That walking tour looks great, but I'm not sure we would have time to take luggage to the hotel and make the start time of the tour. I thought about looking at a private tour if it's not too expensive since we only have a short time. Any recommendations? We will have jet lag, and it's the start of a 14 day trip so we don't want to waste a lot of time trying to find our way.