Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest Munich for two nights 2023

My husband and I are joining my parents and siblings for a Rhine River Cruise in September. My parents (86 and 85) expressed interest in going to Oktoberfest after the cruise Sept 27-30. Any recommendations on accommodations? I searched RS picks , many are already booked. Would be interested in close by towns easy accessible by public transportation. We are trying to avoid renting a car. Our cruise end September 27 so a nice town between Frankfurt and Munich would be good for that night.

Posted by
16241 posts

Nürnberg is right on the direct train line between Frankfurt and Munich, so it would make a nice overnight stop.

For the 2 nights at Oktoberfest, you are correct that many hotels are already fully booked, and the rest are expensive. Hotel Eden Wolff, a traditional hotel close to the train station, has rooms available, but they are around $400 a night.

If you wish to stay outside of Munich, one possibility is Rosenheim, 40 minutes away from the Munich Hauptbahnhof by direct train. Hotels there look to be around $150 a night for those dates.

I am sure the Germany experts (I am definitely one) will have other suggestions as well.

Posted by
7544 posts

There are a number of small towns around Munich that may be better priced. We stayed in Tegernsee, it is at the end of the BOB train line from Munich, about an hour ride. Tegernsee is a nice town in its own right, in the foothills of the alps, on a lake, nice brewery and restaurant, a lift up into the hills, and a wonderful sauna/bath.

Augsburg is a larger town nearby (30 minutes or so by train), so will have more hotel options and frequent transport, definitely an option for you.

Posted by
556 posts

Ingolstadt, Landshut, Rosenheim or Augsburg all would be possible. Hopefully rooms are available there.

Posted by
16241 posts

Re the Augsburg suggestion: If you take the route from Frankfurt to Munich via Stuttgart (with a train change there), it stops in Augsburg 30 minutes before reaching Munich. You could just get off the train and spend all three nights there, instead of changing hotels. That is, if the hotels are not all booked.

I did see lots of options available in Rosenheim when I checked that one. So it is still an option if Augsburg is not available, or too expensive.

Posted by
980 posts

Motel One Ost or Motel On Haidhausen is my usual place for Oktoberfest, both are near the Ost Bahnhof and the U5 will take you directly to the fest grounds. There are also several new hotels just east of the Ost Bahnhof that some of our group stayed at on our Oktoberfest 2022 trip.

I've also stayed in Tegernsee area during the fest, including this past year. It is a really nice option if you don't mind the train ride.

I wouldn't recommend anything near the main station, like Eden Wolff, right now as the main station is undergoing a years long reconstruction and the whole area is a mess.

DJ

Posted by
16241 posts

Which probably explains why the Eden Wolff still has availability!