Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest in Munich

Hi! I'm not sure if this has been asked before - wan't sure how to search for topics in the forum? My wife and I are hoping to attend Oktoberfest in Munich in 2019 and welcome any advice or tips. Any recommended hotels within walking distance? Favorite tents (big or small)? Recommendations for obtaining tickets - contacting the tents directly or going through a service? Difficulty getting tent tickets for opening weekend (we plan to be online day of and time that they first go on sale)? Any thoughts and pointers are welcome, and apologies if this has been asked before.... Sean and Robin

Posted by
11179 posts

at the very top of the page there is a 'search' function in the grey bar

Posted by
141 posts

If you are on mobile, You have to click the square lines at the top left of the screen to expand the menu, where you will then see the search button at the top. It took me a little while to find this as well!

Posted by
195 posts

We traveled as a family group of 8 this year. I was able to reserve a tent on opening weekend during the afternoon. About a month before our departure, I was sent an invoice to prepay for the entire group. The invoice was over $500!! It included beer and food for each person. We weren't sure of our exact arrival time, so I cancelled the reservation. If you are traveling just the 2 of you, you will not be able to make reservations. The best chance of getting a spot in a tent is to go early in the day. You can sit at a table until the reservations start for that table and then you'll have to leave. There have been thousands of posts about Oktoberfest, so I would suggest using the search feature on this site and you'll get lots of recommendations.
Have fun! This was my third trip to Oktoberfest and it's always crazy and fun.

Posted by
2318 posts

Hotel Metropol is within walking distance, and close to the train station. Large rooms w/ac, minibar, comfy beds and great shower. Fabulous breakfast. Very helpful staff. Highly recommend it.

Posted by
8443 posts

The fairgrounds are right at an U-bahn stop, so easy to get to from any area of town. I'd look for a hotel convenient to other things you want to do.