Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest

My husband and I will be in Munich on Saturday and Sunday 10/6 & 10/7 the final two days of the Oktoberfest. I checked months ago and I thought I saw that for two folks you can't make reservations, but it should not be too difficult to get into a beer tent. Now as I look again, I am worried that we will not be able to get in. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Posted by
1 posts

My husband and I have gone a couple of times. To get a table you'll need a ticket, but usually they will allow some people to come in (just not sit at tables). Might google tickets to octoberfest to see if you can get a seat at a table. They can be quite expensive though. If you don't want to do that route - then go early - you'll definitely get it. But if you wait till 5/6pm they will be full. I think the tents shut down pretty early - like 10:30. Bring cash to pay for beer in the tents.

Posted by
129 posts

If you want to get in you need to go early. You do not need a ticket or reservation.Every tent is required to have seats that are not reservable, but they fill early. Everyone in the tent must be seated, no one is allowed to be in the tent just standing around. When the tent is full, they will block off the entrance.

If you do get into a tent, tip one of the servers and she will find you seats. Once you have a place, especially on Saturday afternoon or evening do not give it up. Don't make the mistake of going to see other tents, you probably won't get in. If one of you goes to the restroom the other should stay at the table.
If you go early in the day you will be able to see more tents.

If you cannot get into a tent, the outdoor beer garden areas are not reservable. You can usually find a spot there.

Posted by
7453 posts

I guess I can add or clarify a few things.

First, since you will be there the final weekend, it will be crowded, weekends in general are the busiest, you will have better luck early in the day and maybe in the lull between Lunch and about 5:00, than at night.

Unless the tent is completely full and they have closed the entrance, you are free to go into a tent and look for a seat or just look around, in fact I suggest you hit a few of the major tents just to look, they are pretty neat. You do however need to have a seat to get served beer or food. Some tents do have a "stand-up" drinking area, basically high top bar tables with no stools, others may have beer gardens outside.

As for finding a table, you likely will see many empty seats, they will be reserved. If a table has no card, then it is free all day, if there are open seats, grab them. If there is a card on the table, look at it, it may be reserved for only the evening, it will list the times. If you are there at 1:00, and the card says 17:00-22:30, then the table is reserved at 5:00, you are free to sit there until then, but you must give it up. Finally, since a group must reserve an entire table, if you see a smaller group at a table, you might ask if you can join them, if they are agreeable, you might offer to buy the host a beer or a snack or two for the table. If you are really up for it you could buy a round, but be aware a liter costs 11-12 euro per. Asking one of the servers is also good, they know what tables are open. I have always had luck getting a seat, but I usually go during the week.

There are also smaller tents that tend to be good bets for seats, and some beer gardens, but worst case, go, take a look around, wander in the tents, maybe have a snack or beer on the midway, then head off to one of the many beer gardens or beer halls for a meal and drink.

Posted by
8 posts

All good advice above. I will also mention that the last time I was there the servers were always bringing people to our table when others departed and there were open spots (no one had a reservation at our table and we were camped out there from open to close) so at least in some tents you won't be completely on your own when it comes to trying to find seats.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks all!!

I feel much better now. This is what I thought I had read months ago, but the current articles I saw sounded as though it would not be possible. I realize that a lot of the articles were written by tour companies trying to get me to buy a spot with them. The plan did work as I tried, but they were sold out.

Prost!

Posted by
850 posts

It can be hard to find a table inside. If the weather's good, look outside. If you can remember to ask in German it can help.

"Ist heir frei?" (sounds like "Iszt here fry?" means "Is this seat taken?".)

You can get by with 15 words in German for most of the country. Trying gets you a lot further than just speaking English and hoping someone will understand you. Germans are very polite until they get drunk.

Take the subway to the Tiergarten. Expect crowds. Don't ride the triple loop drunk. (Don't ride it at all after noon unless you're willing to deal with residue...)

On another note, while Octoberfest is going on it's a great time to see the other major tourist sights, as everyone will be at the fest.

Have fun!

Posted by
7595 posts

We lived in Augsburg and went to the big fest three times. Go early and have a late lunch. I liked visiting more than one tent.
I liked Paulander and Spatenbrau.