Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest

Hi,

I have a 5 hour layover at Munich airport in September and was wondering if that was enough time to make a quick trip to Oktoberfest. How far is the airport to the location? Is taking an Uber to the festival a viable option? I realize that I would only have a couple of hours to visit, but it's enough time to have a beer and grab some photos. Thanks for the help!

Posted by
20072 posts

Don't mess with an Uber when there are trains to Munich every 10 minutes. Buy an MVV day ticket and you can get a train to Munich Hbf then change to the u-Bahn 1 stop to the fest grounds.

Of course, depends on the type of layover it is. Domestic-domestic, overseas-domestic, domestic-overseas. Overseas connections will eat into that 5 hours.

Posted by
7535 posts

Probably not even a couple hours. Figure about an hour to get into Munich and to the fest grounds, and the same back, so down to 3 hours. Boarding usually means the door closing a half hour before departure, then leaving yourself a half hour buffer for unexpected things (have to wait for the next S-Bahn, then the next train), so down to two hours, one of those could easily be chewed up by security getting back into the airport. So, maybe, safely, an hour there, not counting if there is a line for entry security at the fest.

But is it worth it? Sure, why not. You only live once. You probably will not be able to have a beer in a tent (need a seat, then wait to be served, drink a liter of beer, then book it out of there) but there are some stands that sell beer and you can walk into tents at least to take a pic or a look. You can also get an Octoberfest Pin, maybe a funny hat.

Posted by
12 posts

I read that it takes 30 minutes to get there by car which is why I was thinking of taking an Uber. The train will take too long. Even an hour at Oktoberfest is better than sitting at the airport for 5. Anyone have any tips on the best place to be let off and picked up by an Uber at the festival? I'm assuming that they have Uber in Germany. Can someone confirm that? Thanks

Posted by
20072 posts

30 minutes by car? Maybe in the middle of the night. And if your return is anywhere near rush hour, all bets are off.

Takes about 50 minutes by S-Bahn/U-Bahn. The MVV day ticket is 13.60 EUR.