Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest

How to reserve a table at a tent during Oktoberfest?

Posted by
20098 posts

Hàve a minimum of 8 people. Or sign up for a tour.

Posted by
7558 posts

It really is not a reservation per se. What you wind up doing is pre-buying food and beer for an entire table, the reservation for that table is free. Cost of the vouchers average 350 euro, and that gets you a block of time, either afternoon or evening. If you do not use all of the vouchers, they usually can be used at the Bier Halls of the Brewery for the tent.

How many are you? What days were you looking at going? Might have more info based on that.

Posted by
20098 posts

If there are only two of, it's more fun to cruise until you find a table that will have you. Then you will make friends, (and people are generally friendly after a Mass or two). Buy the table a round and you will have friends for the rest of your life (or at least until closing time).

Posted by
4843 posts

If you go in the early to mid afternoon, reservations will not be needed. It is less crowded then, but the rides are the same, the music is the same, the beer is the same, and the food (if you care to eat) is the same. It is, in my opinion a much better experience than when it is really jam packed with people.

Posted by
16 posts

We went a few years back and are going again this September. We arrived at opening and had our pick of tables as we strolled through the various tents (went during the week). Ended up in the Augustiner tent and stayed long enough to make new friends, buy a round and have a round bought for us. Have not tried to go on the weekend or in the evening but LOVED it during the day where as was said the music, food, beer and conviviality was top notch without it feeling crazed. Also, we went too hard the first day (three rounds and a schnaps later) and paid the price so this time we will pace ourselves better! ;)

Posted by
8382 posts

We were in Munich during Oktoberfest this last September. One of the days we decided we would go to the festival grounds and check it out. We arrived early to be there at opening. So did several hundred others...... The line stretched for blocks. It did not move or seem to move as people kept "joining" others in their groups. It was hot and we didn't want to waste our time standing in a massive line. We left. I share that so you know arriving "early in the day" may not quite work out as you expect.

Now, I want to add that we certainly enjoyed being in Munich during Oktoberfest. I'm a non-drinker, but there were so many fun things going on and happening outside of the festival grounds that it was very enjoyable. I absolutely loved seeing families dressed in traditional attire. The traditional beer gardens in Munich were accessible.

Posted by
184 posts

We arrived around 11 on a Monday and had our choice of tents with available tables. Off to the side of course but still lots of fun.

Posted by
7558 posts

Should you reserve seats or can you get them when you arrive? Are they all $200 ish?

As was described above, you really can not reserve seats. People go on the various sites for tents and "reserve" a table (for 8-10 people) and are required to pre-purchase vouchers for a minimum food and drink spend, somewhere around 350 euro.

If you are just a couple, then you go into a tent (no fee to go in) and look for vacant tables. Many of those tables may be reserved, so you really need to ask the waiters that are running around, if there are tables free, they will direct you to one. At the very least, before sitting, look at the reservation card, of it shows it is free for the time you are there, ask if you can sit. Except for a few areas, you need to be seated to order a beer or drink. The only cost is what you order, but if you sit, it is expected you will order at least drink. The braver of the souls will go up to a partially filled table and ask if they can sit, that can lead to great fun.

Like anything, your luck in getting seated depends on what day and time you are there, as well as the popularity of the tent. Opening weekend, probably not much chance, Weekends and the last day, again tough, many evenings may also fill up, but afternoons during the week are generally great times to go, easy to get seated.

Posted by
114 posts

We went to Oktoberfest this past September (it was myself, my boyfriend, and 2 of our friends). I made three reservations - one for a Monday afternoon, one for Tuesday evening, and one for Wednesday evening. Most tents don't do reservations for 4 people, but I found a few that did. Each reservation had a voucher for a certain amount of food and drink. Between the three tents for the 4 of us, I paid a little over $700 total (my friends and boyfriend all paid me for their portions).

On the Monday afternoon, we probably could have done without the reservation but for our first time at Oktoberfest, we all appreciated not having to worry. If there are only two of you, it should be easy to get in and make friends at a table. Before our Wednesday tent reservation, we went to a biergarten on the Oktoberfest grounds which was fun.