Please sign in to post.

Update: Oktoberfest 2020 officially canceled

Edit after press conference from April 21.

Oktoberfest 2020 is canceled

Details see later entry of me (OP): 04/21/20 09:06 AM.

__

Original entry from April 16:

Bavarian PM Markus Söder stated that he and the Munich mayor are currently very sceptical that it makes sense to give permission for Oktoberfest 2020.

Original speech (at end of video):
https://www.n-tv.de/mediathek/videos/politik/Kann-mir-nicht-vorstellen-dass-es-stattfindet-article21718651.html

Posted by
2332 posts

There will be no Oktoberfest this year. They're just playing coy a bit. The Straubinger Gäubodenfest, which is less well known internationally but almost as important regionally, has already been cancelled, and the Dachauer Volksfest as well. So it would be completely untenable not to cancel the Oktoberfest.

Posted by
2224 posts

The two mentioned are less a surprise because there is a ban of large events until end of August in Germany and both events are normally in August. Oktoberfest would start in September, month after current ban - but as said very likely to be cancelled as well. I assume that the same will happen with Cannstätter Wasen.

Posted by
980 posts

I would be surprised if Oktoberfest 2020 happens but I'm sure the city leaders will wait until the last possible minute to announce a cancellation (probably in July right before the Aufbau).

DJ

Posted by
2224 posts

Live-info from press conference with Bavarian Prime Minister Söder and Mayor of Munich Reiter.

Oktoberfest 2020 is now officially canceled.

Reasons:
+ Risk is too high to enable Corona virus spreading again
+ Disancing rules cannot be applied to 100%
+ Typical get-together character of Oktoberfest would not be possible
+ Too many international guests (70% of guests): uncontrolable risk
+ "Small Wiesn" is no option: "Richtig oder gar nicht."
+ Both really do not like their right decision :-)

So, next year: „Oans, zwoa, gsuffa"

Posted by
2332 posts

"I wouldn't be so sure that it will be cancelled"

Now you are.

Posted by
8942 posts

Yep, I just saw that on the German news. We figured this would happen. Too much money to risk losing if restrictions aren't lifted by then, especially for all the tourists coming in from countries where this virus is still rampaging.

Posted by
2224 posts

I liked how Söder said that with Reiter an him two people are standing there who suffer the most because the Mayor of Munich does the first "Anstich" every year and the first Mass Bier is for the Prime Minister of Bavaria. So, both are victims of their own decision.

Söder is doing a great job - guess he will follow Merkel as chancellor.

Posted by
1289 posts

It did feel like my heart dropped into my stomach when I heard the official cancellation. Sad for the Oktoberfest and the countless other Fest cancelled this year.

Posted by
2224 posts

I hope that some other events will follow which have similar conditions such as:
+ Cannstätter Wasen
+ IFA fair
+ Buchmesse Frankfurt
+ IAA fair
+ Berlin Marathon

It will need time, strong will and a lot of discipline to get through this time.

Posted by
980 posts

That is too bad, especially for tourist who prebooked their travel but it is probably the right call for the safety of all. Plus the people can still come to the city and experience Munich as it is the rest of the year!

DJ

Posted by
2224 posts

Berlin announced ban of large events with more than 5,000 people until Oct. 24, 2020.

Means Berlin Marathon and IFA fair cannot be done on planned dates in September. Both not finally canceled currently.

For Berlin kids this means that famous Taschenlampenkonzert (torch light concert) will likely be canceled.

Posted by
10 posts

I was supposed to run the marathon and then we were going to do Berlin-Munich (Oktoberfest!)-Bavaria-Salzburg...which we'll likely (hopefully!) do in 2021 now instead.

This may be getting out of the topic of Germany...but what would be a great alternative 12-14 day trip that time of year (end of Sept, beginning of Oct)? We've done France, Italy and England. Any thoughts as to which countries may be easier/better to look to given the coronavirus pandemic?

Portugal? Scotland? Netherlands? We're up for anything almost.