Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2019

Looking to go to Germany for Oktoberfest 2019 then do a little site seeing while there would like suggestions on where to go and how many days to do the Oktoberfest. I think would definitely want to do Berlin. Would one week be enough in Germany before moving on. Want to do Italy and maybe one more country. We have unlimited time but not funds. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Posted by
7661 posts

One week in Germany won't even cover the tip of the iceberg.

Berlin should have about 4 days.
I lived in Augsburg, Germany 50 miles West of Munich for four years, went to the Oktoberfest three times. We did the parade once, that is the first day of the fest. The parade is very crowded and you must arrive early to see it well. You have to stand for at least a couple of hours. Not sure you want to do that.

To just enjoy the fest, one day is enough. We always took the train from Augsburg (30 minute ride) and walked to the fest from the train station. Arrived in the early afternoon before the crowds were heavy. Stayed until thing really get going inside the tents, everybody is singing, locking arms, etc. We would enjoy that for a while, then head home about 8 or 9 in the evening.

One of the specialties of the fest is roasted chicken, try it. I loved the Spatenbrau and Hacker-Pschorr tents.

Bavaria is great, to really do Munich, you need 3-4 nights as well as more if you take day trips to Garmisch/Fussen, Augsburg, Berchtesgaden/Salzburg and Dachau. Also, do the Romantic Road which includes Rothenburg on the Tauber. If you do Berlin, Bavaria and then up to the Rhine land to see Heidelberg, Mainz, Frankfurt, and Cologne, you would need five days in Berlin, about 8 in Bavaria and about 6 in the Rhineland. There is a lot more to Germany, but that is a good start.

Buy a guidebook and research what you want to see.

Posted by
46 posts

We really enjoyed the Augustiner-Bräu tent. The Augustiner brewery is the only Munich brewery that still delivers the beer in wooden barrels to the Oktoberfest. By far the best tasting bier

Posted by
3049 posts

3 full days in Munich, with one day devoted mostly to Oktoberfest, then 4 days in Berlin would make a nice trip, but since you have unlimited time, I don't see why you shouldn't explore more of Bavaria as others have suggested.

Plan on going to Oktoberfest in the early afternoon, on a weekday, if you want a good chance of getting in a good tent and getting seated. Or you could go with a tour group on an evening as they get reserved tables. You pay a bit extra but it might be worth it if you want the full experience.