Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2018 - September 24th and 25th

Hello!

My family and I are heading to Oktoberfest this year and plan on going to Oktoberfest on the 24th and 25th. We do have 1 tent reservation for Monday and 1 for Tuesday (both in the afternoon), but I am wondering if anyone has any experience trying to get into the tents during the evening in the week. Some say it won't be a problem say so we won't be able to get in anywhere. There are 10 of us, so I know that also makes things a little difficult than if we were a smaller group.

I have been to Oktoberfest once about 6 years ago, but I am the only repeat attendee in my group.

Any tips/thoughts/insights will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Posted by
321 posts

Hi fish- What time frame is covered by your "afternoon" reservations? I assume when you wrote that you have "1 reservation" that you meant "1 reservation for 10 people". If you are sitting in a tent for 4-5 hours in the afternoon I suspect you may not want to stay into the evening. And if you do stay after 4-5 hours of drinking beer in the afternoon, you may have some difficulty finding your way back to your hotel, unless you have a designated non-drinker in your group that can herd you back to your hotel.

Have a great trip !!!

Posted by
980 posts

Your best bet is to split up into groups of 2-3, get into some tents and start making friends with table that have empty spots. This usually works fine. If a tent if full and you can’t get in you can keep drinking in the Biergarten outside the tent (All open seating).

The "Wiesnzelt" at Stiglmaierplatz is really geared to the younger crowd (teens and early 20s, loud dance music) and is no where near the fest grounds. We tried going one time just to check it out and it was not worth it IMO.

DJ

Posted by
864 posts

Octoberfest gets more crowded in the evenings. That's when the locals get off work and start partying. It's going to be almost impossible to find space for 10 people in the same tent at that time. You'll have better luck at the outdoor tables, and even then it would be best to split up. good luck and have fun!

Posted by
46 posts

Agree with KGC. After 4 hours (12-4:45), and 3 different tents last year, wife & I recognized that the locals were flocking the tents for 5:00pm reservations, and there would be little chance of the 2 of us finding a spot. So we headed into town and hit the Augustiner-Keller for a very relaxing dinner in the cool beer cellar.