Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2018 Beer Hall Tents

Hello All!

Traveling to Munich September 22 thru 28, 2018 to attend the Oktoberfest with a group of 10 (10 for sure right now but could be up to 14) We're getting conflicting advice (from Germans here Stateside) on whether or not reservations are needed for the beer hall tents. Since we will be traveling with a large group obviously we would like to have a table together. I see that some comments are that if you have only a few people in your party you would be fine getting a seat - but what about 10 (or 12 )? Should we try and make reservations for a table? Or just try our luck during the day? Or is it too late to even get a table? (we can be flexible on dates to the festival since we will be there that week). And if so what tent do you recommend to reserve? (Our age range is 45 to 55).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Posted by
20174 posts

At this late date (they start taking reservations in January), get whatever you can. Each tent has its own reservation website. If you don't need to be there for the evening, you can probably sit at a table that already has reservations for the evening. Just be clear that you will leave at the start of the reservation which usually start around 5 pm.

Posted by
3049 posts

A table seats 10, so if you travel with more you're going to have to reserve 2 tables, but getting tables at Oktoberfest is notoriously difficult and you're quite late. You might be able to get something on a weekday afternoon.

With a group that big, if sitting together is important, however, you're going to need that reservation. Or you could come over to Stuttgart's Volksfest which is better than Oktoberfest. Table reservations are still available, too.

Posted by
1944 posts

My advice is to split up if at all possible. Two groups of 5/6 might have better luck than a group of 10-14. If not, my advice is to go early on a weekend(when they open).

Posted by
7570 posts

I would go ahead and try to get reservations for any tent at least one of the nights, but you would need to reserve two tables of ten. The reservation fee really is a consumption guarantee, roughly the cost of a couple beers and a meal for each person, 10 per table, prices range from 23 euro on up to nearly 60 euro p/p depending on the tent and location of the table. Go to the official site https://www.oktoberfest.de/en/navitem/Beer+Tents/ to get details, but you have to go the the site of the tent to get reservations. You can also find second sellers, basically tour packages the include reservations, but obviously the cost goes up with those.

You get there opening weekend, lots to do other than the tents, probably not much chance getting a table/s together that weekend. We have always hit the Monday after opening weekend and found in the afternoon that tables were easily open, I suspect other days during the week are similar. As others have said, being prepared to break into smaller groups is a good strategy. Just walking up and getting a free table does not imply any requirement to spend a certain amount, but obviously you should get something.

The Canstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart is also a good suggestion, a great fest in it's own right, much easier to get a table or two, but opening is the 28th...so no time for that in your itinerary.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks All!

I had started planning this trip back in December for this group. I had said "we really need to make reservations" when the reservation dates opened up :) but unfortunately one of my co-travelers got information from German co-workers saying it wasn't necessary and well you know, here we are.... to be fair, I don't think the co-worker explained the size of our group etc. Thanks again for your advice - I will let them know that basically during the day not so much a problem but if we want to fully enjoy the festival in the evening/at night - we'll need tables (if we can still get them).

Thanks again!