Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2016 - 1st Time

We (3 in our party) plan on attending Oktoberfest on a Tuesday this year. We've made hotel reservations but I'm not sure if we need reservations for one of the tents. I've read conflicting things but the majority say that if you're there early enough (before 2 pm) on a weekday you should have no problem finding space in a tent without a reservation. Just looking for others on this forum to either agree or disagree with that. I'm leaning towards taking our chances without a reservation. Thoughts?

Posted by
20143 posts

Never got reservations. Yes, get there in the afternoon, and you can sit at seats that have been reserved for the evening. We sat at tables reserved for Siemens Electric at 5 pm. Right at 5, a few people came in. One woman was obviously the organizer and we just said to her we would leave at her pleasure. She just said not to worry and most of her group would not be there until after 6 and to relax and have another Mass.

Shortly before 6 we left and went to another tent and found a table with 2 empty seats with some people who immediately became our Best Friends For Life, or at least for the next two hours. Then we stumbled our way to the U-Bahn then to the Hauptbahnhof for our night train to Venice. But that's another story.

If the weather is nice, most tents have outdoor tables (for up to 2000) which are never reserved.

Posted by
980 posts

With only three people you won't have a problem finding a spot on a Tuesday without a reservation. You best bet is either first thing in the morning at 10am or right after the lunch crowd at 1-2pm. Just go in and find an empty table and check the reservation time listed on the end. If you are lucky the group who reserved the table won't actually fill it up and they may allow you to stay, but even if you get kicked out just be bold and ask around if someone has free spots. At the very least you can find a spot at a table outside the tent (always unreserved) so just squeeze in where you find three spots.

Have fun.

DJ