Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2015

Will be at Oktoberfest in Munich this month. Wondering on getting into the beer tents. Our party is only made up of 2 people. I tried making tent reservations, but was told, "sorry, parties of 6 (or ten in son case). Try yo come early and we might have some spots available". Any advice on what time to try to arrive and possibly get seats? Any tents you recommend to see/visit? What not to miss while there?
Thank you.

Posted by
7049 posts

You don't need reservations for such a small party - everyone just sits together communally on long benches. It's worth peeking inside all the tents to see which one you like the best in terms of atmosphere, design set-up, crowd, etc...they all have their own unique flavor. Then just find some empty space and squeeze in. I like Augustiner beer so that tent stood out. I don't eat meat, but for "carnival" type food, the chicken and other items looked good quality and my group had really positive comments....try some spaetzle as well. The only thing I would avoid is going on those carnival rides afterward, especially upside-down roller coasters - seems like a really wacky idea!

I'm not sure when the tents open but you can see what the crowds are once on the ground. Later in the day, some tents really do get impossibly crowded, but the festival is long and I believe the opening hours are also long.

Posted by
8458 posts

Olga once you see the enormous size of the tents, and the massive crowds milling about, you will see why reservations would be impossible to manage. Seating is all picnic tables- sit where you can, and where it looks like the servers are active. People are coming and going all the time, and most people are just drinking and singing, so its not like assigned seating. I think the tent with the big roast oxen in front is worth a look even if not eating. Its pretty much a state-fair type atmosphere with carnival rides and side shows. There is a tent at the far end that has more traditional music and dancing (I think) that has an admission fee, might be worth a look.

Posted by
20146 posts

Just go in the early afternoon and sit where you want. You will see lots of tables with signs like "Reserviert BMW 19:00". So a group from BMW, clients, suppliers, employees has it reserved starting 7 PM. You can sit there until 7 PM, or even longer. When the group shows, you may have to leave and find another place, or if you talk to the group organizer, just let them know you are ready to leave, and they may say "hang around, I don't think everyone is going to show."
You can also walk around, and if you see a couple of empty seats, ask if you can sit there. By the second mass, people are generally pretty friendly. By the fourth, you're best friends for life. Also, locals don't hang out til the cows come home. They come in with friends for one or two and then head out for the evening. There is no cover charge, but the beer is rather expensive although a mass is one liter, 10 euro is the cheapest and most are 10 and change.
Check out the Wiesn Dictionary, http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/lexikon/
They even have a word for people who hang out and wait for people who leave with a half empty mass, then sit down and finish it!

Posted by
487 posts

The tents open around 10 am and reservations won't start until later in the afternoon/evening. You can grab any empty table until the reservations start. You must be ordering food and/or beer in order to stay at the table and you can only drink beer if you are at a table. No wandering around outside of the tents with a beer. After the reservations start they may not let you into the tent without a reservation, but once you are in they won't kick you out of the tent, just off the table when the reserved group arrives. You can try making friends with others at reserved tables to try and stay longer.

Posted by
67 posts

You should arrive before the fest starts, and visit one of many beer gardens. There is a book available online called The Beer Drinker's guide to Munich, which also has BOGO at a few beer gardens. these all close once the fest starts, but are definitely worth the time to visit, as they are not as crowded, or as expensive, as the Oktoberfest. The fest is a once in a lifetime event (I've been there a "few" times (8), but the beer gardens are much more a true reflection of Munich's people than the international Oktoberfest is.

Prosit,
Steve

Posted by
1296 posts

My two cents... Maybe it was a bad day, but I did not get into a Beer tent the first and last visit of mine to the Oktoberfest. They were full, reserved or something. I stood in line for 1.5 hours in the rain before I gave up. We were there at 09:00 in the morning. I know of folks that have gone there at 6:00-7:00 am just to get in.

Posted by
487 posts

One more thing, weekends are generally busier and rowdier than a week day. You might have better luck getting in if you going during the week.

Posted by
54 posts

Olga, We were there last year and the pension we stay at when we are in Munich gave us good advice. First off, on our first day there, which was a week day (around 3 PM) we went to Oktoberfest and wandered through the tents. We were able to get into the Spatan tent, but could not find a place to sit. We then went to the tent that the guy in our pension told us we would have the best luck and getting in to. He told us it was smaller, toward the back, and for the life of me, I can't figure out the name of the tent. We have to pay a little bit to get in and there was a antique tractor exhibit in it. It was less crowded, but no place to sit as well there, so we left. We left out the back by the statue where there was an open space where those who had drank too much (which considering the number of people who are at the oktoberfest, was small) were sitting trying to keep the world from spinning.
We walked over to the nearby Hacker- Pschorr which has an outdoor beer garden that was nearly empty. It was awesome as we love this Brewery and we could sit outside, look at the Oktoberfest from afar (minus the crowds) and have a great beer. Again, the man who ran our pension, told us that Sunday afternoon is the best time to get in. He said many tourists have left and so we tried again on Sunday, the last day of the festival. We went back to the locals tent and paid the small admission to get into the tent. We were able to find a place to sit and ordered beer. They were out of the famous chicken, but we ordered other food and it was very nice. So if you are looking for the ultimate party experience, this probably wasn't it. I am sure if people are more persistent than us, you can find a spot, but go early and go often to try to find a place to sit, would be my advice. If I can figure out the name of the tent, I will repost. Maybe someone reading this will know.

Posted by
13 posts

In reponse to Steve's post above....

I contacted Larry Hawthorne, the author of the Beer Lover's Guide to Munich, about traditional beer gardens hours during Oktoberfest. Below is his response.

eith and Cheryl,

You bet they're open during Oktoberfest! I cannot think of one beer
garden that closes during this time. Actually, it's a great opportunity
to visit local beer gardens because the crowds tend to be a bit lighter
due to so many regular customers being at the Wies'n. Bavariapark is
actually adjacent to the Oktoberfest grounds. While at the O-fest, just
walk up the stairs/hill incline next to the statue of Lady Bavaria and
into the Bavariapark beer garden.

Have a great time.

Larry