Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest

My husband, daughter and I will be in Munich for Oktoberfest on Monday September 18. Is it necessary to make a reservation for one of the tents for a Monday? Is there a tent that is recommended by anyone who has experienced Oktoberfest in the past?

Posted by
20254 posts

If you go in the afternoon, you should not need any reservations. Tables get reserved by large groups, many corporate for entertaining employees, customers, suppliers for the evening, starting around 6 pm. You can sit there at least until the time marked on the reservation card, and sometimes later if everyone doesn't show up. Talk to the group organizer, who should be obvious.
As for as which tent, the one whose beer you want to drink.

Posted by
8514 posts

Its like a massive church picnic: folding tables and chairs - not like restaurant seating. I don't think you can book a reservation for three, and its not like they have hosts seating you. Check out a few of the tents and pick the one with the atmosphere that appeals to you.

Posted by
980 posts

It's only possible to get a reservation for three by going through a travel agent or reseller as the tents only sell reservation for entire tables. The good news is with just three people on a weekday you should have no problem finding a spot in the afternoon.

DJ

Posted by
2 posts

I have found Tuesday and Wednesday's to be the least crowded.That being said get there at 10am if you want to walk through a few tents ,last time I went they started reserving tables for 4pm ,if you're sitting at the table the make you leave.The Hacker-Festzelt followed by the Schottenhamel tent are awesome.

Posted by
115 posts

You wont need reservations and almost certainly its not an option for you anyways. 3 is an easy crowd, although is that the first Monday so it might be a little more crowded, ust show up early.

Hacker Festzelt is the place to be.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you to all for your wonderful responses. We are looking forward to our first experience with Oktoberfest. We have been to Munich a few times but this is our first trip during the festival.