Please sign in to post.

Octoberfest 2017 - a reservation??

I've heard that reservations may be needed to get a seat inside the beer halls. True? The oktoberfest.net website wants 169 Euros pp for this (includes two beers and 1/2 a chicken). This seems outrageous!
We are arriving on a Thursday morning in Munich, so we could head to the park in the afternoon/evening, or we could go Friday.
Do you think that there are enough halls there, that we will be able to find at least one with two open seats?

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated!
Danke!!

Corky & Sandra

Posted by
193 posts

Don't worry about reservations. Those are for groups of 10 or more. Best to get there early on a weekday and you won't have a problem. If the table says reserved it will say a time and you may have to move when they show up. I've been there quite a few times during the week and have never had issues. Also, with just two people it's easy to just ask and people will usually slide down, the more the merrier.
Prost!

Posted by
69 posts

Whew! That's a relief. Can't wait!!

Do you have a recommended "Hall" ? There are large and small and tons from which to choose!
Thanks!

Posted by
60 posts

The trip advisor Munich forum has FAQ for Oktoberfest with pretty comprehensive info.

The doors to the individual tents close when they are filled, which will most likely happen at peak times, esp in the evening (after 4 or 5) and on the weekends.
Reservations are by the table or in groups of ten. Go around the Wiesn and visit the tents and find the one that suits you. If a table doesn't have a reserved sign on it, you are free to sit there.

You can buy all the beer and chicken you wish once you're seated.

The Weisn grounds have rides, food, souvenirs, and masses and masses of people. Fun times.

Posted by
20166 posts

You can even sit a reserved table up until the start of the reservation, which start around 5 pm in general. The reservation card will show the start time.

Posted by
28 posts

Hacker Pschorr festzelt... thats where I'll be, to start

Get there early Friday, you should be fine (how many in your group?)

Advice= tip big on your first round.

*edit: I see now it's likely 2

Posted by
4870 posts

No, reservations are not needed. We've been in mid afternoon and had no problem at all getting into any of the tents. Early to mid afternoon on Thursday should not be crowded at all but Friday might be. On either day it will get very crowded at night. 169 Euros pp for two beers and 1/2 a chicken is not outrageous -- it's obscene!! You can do it on your own for a whole lot less.

Posted by
69 posts

Just the 2 of us.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!
Any other "don't miss" things in Munich? We are Thursday afternoon and all day Friday.