Please sign in to post.

Octoberfest 2017

We will be in Munich for Octoberfest 2017. I would like any and all suggestions for day trips via the train.
I was wondering if visiting the surrounding cities would prove to be a better choice than Munich for Octoberfest because of the crowds.
Thanks,
Dianne

Posted by
12040 posts

Oktoberfest tends to have two main effects on the rest of the city. One, lodging options become tighter, with many of the cheaper rooms filling far in advanced. Two, public transportation, particularly the commuter Sbahn, can get more crowded during peak hours. Otherwise, Munich remains much the same as always, which is as busy as you would expect for the country's third largest city. I've actually seen the city more overflowing with visitors for a Bayern München game. So, should you avoid Munich during Oktoberfest? You would have to weigh the difficulty of obtaining your choice of rooms versus the fact that Munich is the regional rail hub and therefore, the easiest place to base yourself for daytrips.

Speaking of which, here's a few suggestions: Regensburg, Landshut, Passau, Burghausen, Nürnberg, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Posted by
77 posts

Thank you so much for the information and the suggestions for day trips.
Just what I needed for our trip.

Posted by
7570 posts

Are you planning on participating in Oktoberfest? If not then plan only a very little time or Day trip into Munich. Otherwise, I have been there twice during Oktoberfest and even on opening weekend, crowds are manageable throughout most of the city except for maybe the Fest Grounds and the S-Bahn near the Fest Grounds.

You might consider staying outside Munich and daytrip around and into Munich. We stayed in Tegernsee, a wonderful town in the foothills of the Alps, Augsburg or Freising are also good home bases. As for day trips, if you are interested in beer, then Freising (Weihenstephaner), Aying, and Andecher all are great stops. For history, then maybe Dachau, various palaces, even as far as Nueschwanstein would do. Salzburg is not too far, and several German cities are "do-able".

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Dianne-
As Tom said above, don't stay in Munich during Oktoberfest and pay the inflated hotel prices unless you are going to spend most of a day (or 2 or 3...) attending the 'Fest. It's a waste of money.
Except during the 'Fest, Munich is a nice large (Rebuilt) city with a large number of biergartens and restaurants. Touristy places outside of Munich include Garmisch (Zugspitz), Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest), Fussen (Neuschwanstein), Salzburg (Sound-of-music area), Rothenburg, etc. It is usually easier to tour these places with a car, but it can be done with public transport.
Have a great trip!!!

Posted by
77 posts

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. It is so helpful to get all this great help. Our place is in Munich within a few blocks from the main train station. It will be easy to take day trips to some of the places that have been suggested. It will be fun, I'm sure of it.