Please sign in to post.

Oberammergau Passion Play

Does anyone know if Rick Steves will have any tours in 2020 which include the Oberammergau Passion Play? If not, any recommendations for best tour company. I would like to go into Austria, Switzerland, hopefully a concentration camp sight, and Neuschwanstein Castle.

Posted by
3049 posts

I would consider doing an independent trip. That part of the world is quite easy to travel in without a tour. You could visit Dachau, Munich, Salzburg in Austria. Switzerland is a bit of a geographic outlier and very expensive, and the alpine scenery in Austria is very impressive, Innsbruck and/or Halstatt are also places not too far in Austria to visit.

Posted by
20094 posts

Because next one is 2030, and who knows if we will be around.

Posted by
19092 posts

Because next one is 2030, and who knows if we will be around.

And if you are not around in 2030, and you didn't attend the 2020 Passion Play, what will it matter? Are planning on having Oberammergau listed on your tombstone as one of the places you have visited.

Posted by
3 posts

As a Christian as well as a lover of history, the Passion Play would be such a fantastic experience, one to which I’ve been looking forward for the last six years. Incidentally, I hope no one does anything just to put it on a tombstone, or why do anything at all?

Posted by
20094 posts

Sorry Lee, but I do not plan to attend, but at least one poster was curious as to why 2020 was so special. The fact that it is only once every 10 years, better get it while you can. But that can be said of any endeavor. "....we know not the hour or the day...."

Posted by
8943 posts

We have signed up on the official website of the Passion Play and when ticket sales begin, we will get them.
https://www.passionsspiele-oberammergau.de/en/home

It is a unique play, with all parts being played by the residents of the town. It began with a promise for the town to be saved from the Black Death and is only held ever 10 years.

Posted by
1075 posts

Thank you, @ Ms. Jo! I wasn't being snarky to the OP when I asked what was so special about this one. I clicked on the link and read more about the history - that is neat how it's been going on so long and is attributed to Plague times. Very cool.

Posted by
996 posts

We have visited Oberammergau (not during a play year) and enjoyed the tour of the theater and backstage. The history of this play is fabulous!