Please sign in to post.

Oberammergau Passion Play

Have looked through the forums, without a lot of success. Two questions:

1. I'd love to hear experiences of anybody who attended the Passion Play in the past.

What was good about the experience?
What would you do different?
Any suggestions?

1. Tours / Tickets

I'd also love to hear suggestions of specific ticket and/or tour strategies. If we go, will be a short trip (1 week or less), so will not be doing an extensive visit this trip.

Thanks

Posted by
3962 posts

We booked tickets for the Passion Play and a hotel for two nights just two weeks ago for an early August (non weekend) date. At first we were discouraged that the 2 or 3 night packages offered on the official website were too expensive for play, accommodations, translated book and 3 hour intermission dinner. Then I realized that the packages on the official website (where we bought our tickets only) were all for weekend dates. The play is also on Tuesdays and Thursdays, non package days. So I looked at the official list of hotels in Oberammergau within walking distance of the play and emailed one of theM for Monday-Wednesday dates (2 nights) and booked directly with them.

Official for tickets: https://www.passionsspiele-oberammergau.de/en/home

So if you want to go you can go independently for a few hundred dollars less by booking the limited hotels on Tuesday or Thursday nights but I would recommend checking hotel availability carefully. We booked a cancellable room.

I can’t comment on the play as we haven’t been yet.

Posted by
18 posts

My wife and I attended the Passion Play in 2010. Through Trans World Travel, Inc. (http://transworldtravel.com) we were able to get a one-night package in Oberammergau that included tickets for the Passion Play. In 2010 they also offered a two-night option. We were very pleased with our Passion Play experience and the staff at Trans World Travel were top notch. Our package included lunch and dinner the day of the play and breakfast the day after.

We enjoyed the play so much that we’re going again this year as part of a Rhine river cruise.

Posted by
304 posts

I booked a pack package back in June for a date at the end of May. I haven’t been before but my mom and aunt went in 2010. They enjoyed it but my mom struggled a bit with it being in German. They went with a tour. I don’t know which one.

Posted by
7688 posts

We did the Passion Play thirty years ago, when we lived in Augsburg, Germany. We drove down for the day.
We did not have a tour, just the tickets.

The play was awesome. The presentation of the play was special, as was the costumes and acting. There is really nothing like it in the World.

Posted by
3 posts

I attended in 2010 (and attending again this September).
For 2010 booked tickets and two nights' accommodation though the Passionsspiele Oberammergau site (www.passionsspiele-oberammergau.de) . They also sell tickets without accommodations. The meal during the intermission was included in our price and the hotel we were at also had breakfast and dinner. Going to the play was part of a longer "self-catering" road trip through southern Germany so being on a tour was not something I wanted for that trip

The play itself was well done with beautiful costumes. I enjoyed it and going again this year, though with a tour so will see what the difference is.
The tour I am taking is a 10 day tour so if you are looking at a shorter trip maybe going on your own might be a better choice. For my personal preference, when the trip is short I prefer doing the trip without a tour so that I can just focus on one place rather than feeling rush.