Please sign in to post.

Oberammergau in 2022

My wife and I are considering a 2022 trip to Oberammergau. I would prefer to make arrangements myself, rather that take a guided tour. We are fairly experienced travelers, and language is not an issue. My question is for those who have done this trip before: What is a recommendation for a hotel or gasthaus within walking distance of the theater? Any memorable (for the right reasons) restaurants?
Many thanks for any and all opinions.

Posted by
1549 posts

If staying in Oberammergau itself, everything is within walking distance. We were supposed to be in this part of the world in a couple of weeks and thinking of possibly attending the play (would have purchased tickets on line). We've stayed a week in an apartment in Oberammergau before. Depending on what time of year you are thinking about, a week minimum may be required for an apartment but there is plenty to see and do around there to fill in the time. Can't speak to hotels. This family is heavily involved with the play and offers accommodation: https://www.lucia-schuster.de/en/home/

If Oberamergau is overflowing, Bad Bayersoien is in a pretty locations and a (free?) bus ride away. Ettal is just down the road, also offering bus service.

Posted by
1411 posts

During the play there is a. Meal break and you will absolutely need reservation for that

Posted by
4845 posts

As Gundersen said, most accommodations should be within walking distance, provided you don't have mobility limitations. O'gau is a small town. Have a look at whats available through something like Booking.com, where you can filter for location, price, and important amenities. Then look at the hotel's website to compare pricing. And as in most small towns, there really aren't restaurants that are standouts for their quality. Don't get me wrong- most restaurants serve perfectly good food, but if you're looking for Michelin quality, you won't find it in O'gau.

During the Passion Play period, accommodations in town are usually limited to only a couple of nights per reservation, due to demand, and you will want to book well in advance. Hopefully you can get a refundable booking. And because there is a huge demand for dining (both lunch and dinner), you will want to book advance reservations for those meals as well.