Please sign in to post.

Oberammergau in 2020

My wife and I are starting to think about seeing the Passion Play in 2020. We are wondering if arranging a tour with hotel/food/tickets is the way to go, or just getting play tickets and finding housing and food on our own? I see that tour groups are starting to sell on March 9, 2018, but individual tickets not until 2019. How quickly do hotels/B&Bs and tickets book up?
Has anyone been there who is willing to share their ideas about the best way to proceed? We have traveled to Germany many times in the past (my wife is fluent in German, and I can get by) and have been to Bavaria before. Setting up and taking the trip on our own is completely do-able, but I have little experience with organized tour companies.
Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
1556 posts

This family rents an apartment and have been involved with the production in the past. Give them a shout, they may be able to guide you. Needless to say, organised tours will be far more expensive, and I do not know how many tickets are sold before general release.

http://www.lucia-schuster.de/

Posted by
19095 posts

I've twice stayed in Oberammergau (but not at Play time) at Gaestehaus Richter. Richter has comfortable accommodations at a reasonable price (Lonely Planet calls it the best deal in Oberammergau). Frau Richter speak excellent English. You might email her at info@gaestehaus-richter.de. It would be an excellent place to stay, a block from the train/bus station and just across the river from the Playhouse. She might be able to tell you how to get tickets, but I don't know if an organized tour would be necessary to get into restaurants in town. Ask her.

Posted by
18 posts

My wife and I attended the Passion Play in 2010. We were doing a trip through Germany on our own and did not want to join a large/lengthy tour in order to see the play. Through Trans World Travel, Inc. (http://transworldtravel.com) we were able to get a one-night package in Oberammergau that included tickets for the Passion Play. In 2010 they also offered a two-night option. We were very pleased with our Passion Play experience and the staff at Trans World Travel were top notch. Everything worked with no issues - when we checked in at the hotel our play tickets were waiting for us. Our package included lunch and dinner the day of the play and breakfast the day after.