Please sign in to post.

Nuremberg to Prague

My wife and I will be on the Danube River cruise ending in Nuremburg next July. We want to travel to Prague and Poland after the cruise. Looking for recommendations for train or bus to Prague and where to store our luggage while we explore Nuremburg for the day before departing for Prague. I also am concerned about our luggage size and if it will be too big for the train or bus. We'll be traveling for 2 weeks and each have a suitcase 52x32x78 cm. It looks like this is right at the limit for Flixbus. Anyone know how strict they are with the luggage size?

Posted by
6893 posts

Nuremberg station (Nürnberg Hbf) has lockers, and your luggage should fit in the large lockers.
Most important concern is the weight: will you be able to lift and carry such large luggage on trains, in stairs, etc.?

Posted by
1669 posts

My suggestion would be to split your suitcase into two smaller ones if possible. As mentioned, a large suitcase like that may be good for a cruise, but difficult for train and bus travel.

Is there a reason you can't spend a night or two in Nuremberg? You won't have much time to see the city in only a short day. It is a very interesting city.

Nuremberg, Prague, Poland is an extensive trip as far as distances to travel. Where in Poland are you headed? Are you flying back home from Poland? Sounds like you have some planning ahead of you after your cruise. Good luck and enjoy.

Posted by
6534 posts

When we did it we took a bus, but our three day trip extension was arranged through Viking Cruises, so the bus showed up at the pier in Nurnberg.

Posted by
20085 posts

Flixbus has a bus to Prague at 8 pm and takes 3 hours 20 minutes, costs 18 EUR for a ticket bought now. Leaves from the bus station about 2 blocks from the main train station.

Here is the info on Nuremberg Hbf (main station). Note the locations of the luggage lockers (Schliessfaecher), one in the basement of the main entrance and one at street level of the south entrance.

https://www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof-de/bahnhof/N-C3-BCrnberg-Hbf-1022750

Posted by
2 posts

Threadwear, Thanks for your reply. We are planning a spending a few days in Prague and then taking the train to Krakow where we will spend a few days and fly back from there. We are still flexible on the number of nights in each city so spending the night in Nuremberg is still a possibility.

Posted by
2333 posts

Buy your train ticket to Prague at www.bahn.com. It takes around 4:40 with one change required.

I'd suggest to buy it at the E-Shop of Czech Rail (www.cd.cz). Just compare fares for 7 days out, dep: Nürnberg 10:37, transfer in Cheb: DB €33 (cheapest offer; flex price ticket €68), Czech Rail cz krs. 286 = approx €11.

Posted by
6375 posts

Good point, don't forget to check cd.cz aswell as they often are cheaper.