Please sign in to post.

Nuremberg?

We are looking to visit Nuremberg for a day. We can do a self guided walking tour and then visit the rally grounds etc. Do you recommend taking a train from Frankfurt or driving the campervan from Rothenburg? We are trying to decide which is easier. If we take the campervan, is there somewhere to park for the day?
Also, do we need to buy any tickets in advance?
Thank you for your time

Posted by
6594 posts

I was in Nuremberg in May of 2022 for 4 nights and did not pre-book anything (except my train ticket, of course).

I'm a little confused. Are you coming from Frankfurt or Rothenburg o.d.T.?

Regardless, I would say that a train would be definitely easier than driving a camper van from Rothenburg. For one thing, there is very good public transportation in the area. I relied on train travel and local public transport the entire time I was there and had absolutely no problems getting around in the city and out to the rally grounds. I also visited Courtroom 600 using public transport.

I believe it would also be very difficult (and probably very expensive) to find a place to park for the day; especially with a camper van.

Posted by
199 posts

Thank you
We have either option. We are renting a campervan from Frankfurt so we can either go from Frankfurt prior to getting the van or after we get the van.

Posted by
32929 posts

In the centre of Nuremberg there are a few parking structures but I don't know of any which would accommodate a campervan.

You could park at an outlying train station, some have both a parking structure and an open air carpark, but check because several have a height restrictor and most have quite narrow stalls.

Frankly using train to Nuremberg will be quite a lot easier.

Train tickets on the day in the VRN, the absolutely huge transport association of Nuremberg - I think that Rothenburg odT may also be in the VRN??, is really easy on the app or at machines.

As far as I know Nuremberg has not yet implemented an Umweltzone but they have been trying to since 2009. Since both Munich and Frankfurt - as well as many other places - do have the zones you would be well advised to ensure that the campervan has at least Euro 4.

Posted by
2357 posts

In the centre of Nuremberg there are a few parking structures but I don't know of any which would accommodate a campervan.

The "nearest" to the center would be at Dutzendteich, near the Doku-Center, or, coming from the west (Rothenburg), the S-Bahn-stop of Anwanden.

Frankly using train to Nuremberg will be quite a lot easier.

This!

I think that Rothenburg odT may also be in the VRN??

Yes, it's also in the VGN (the VRN, Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Neckar, is in and around Mannheim. ;) )

Posted by
19118 posts

the VRN, Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Neckar, is in and around Mannheim

While it's true that the VRN includes Mannheim and Ludwigshafen, the VRN is one of the largest Verkehrsverbünde in Germany, extending over 200 km from west, just west of Ramstein in Rheinland-Pfalz, to east, to the eastern border of Baden-Württemberg with Bavaria, just a few miles west of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. But Rothenburg odT is in the VGN

In 2007, on my trip on the Romantic Road, I took a two-bus connection from Rothenburg to Weikersheim, with a change about a half hour out of Rothenburg in Creglingen. Creglingen is in the VRN.