Please sign in to post.

Nuremberg Court Room 600

Hi everyone. I used Tripadvisor for this question however most people aren't exactly answering my question and telling me what I already know.

I know the Palace of Justice's museum is open daily except on Tuesday. I understand that. I also know that court room 600 is still used today so that sometimes it is not available due to court cases going on.

I understand that Saturdays and Sundays it is a for sure thing that court room 600 will be open, but on some sites (could be out of date) I saw that Mondays and Fridays that it will be open too. Are there no court cases on Mondays and Fridays? I am planning my route around this.

Thanks

Posted by
122 posts

Yah I know about that website. That's where I got the info however this " Courtroom 600 is still used as a court of justice. Therefore, it can only be viewed on days when the court is not in session. As a general rule, court is not in session from Friday to Monday. Therefore, on these four days the chances are good that the courtroom will be accessible to visitors" doesn't exactly address what I am asking. I emailed them and I'm not sure if something was lost in translation. They just told me the same thing "working court blah blah and email us a week before you want to go so we can tell you if it is being used". I then asked how frequently is the court room closed on Monday and Friday and my response was just that it will be open this Monday with nothing about general Mondays or Fridays.

Do they actually use this court on Mondays and Fridays and if assuming that there are 4 Mondays and 4 Fridays in a month, what are the chances that they will be open?

Has anyone been to the museum on a Monday or Friday finding out the court was actually in session?

I went to a website that lists the courts in Germany however I cannot figure out (if this is even available) where to find the link specially for court room 600 to see their court schedule just so I could watch it and get a general idea.

Posted by
7513 posts

What the website is basically saying is that on Monday and Friday there generally are no cases and that the courtroom is available, HOWEVER, if a case needs to be scheduled on one of those days, it will be scheduled, and the courtroom will not be available. There is no way for you to be 100% sure that you can access the Courtroom on a Monday or Friday, but chances appear to be good that the room will be open on those days. The answer can get no more exact than that.

Certainly Nuremberg is worth more than one day, perhaps plan a Sunday or Saturday in the several days and not take the chance.

Posted by
122 posts

Well Germans are known for their efficiency...

I'm between 3 different routes for my trip. Naturally the one that I could do Nuremberg on a Saturday/Sunday is the most expensive and I would end up missing out on something else I want to do.

Has anyone here gone to the museum on a Monday where you were told you couldn't go into the court room?

Posted by
14499 posts

"...known for their efficiency." Relative to whom? Which nationalities, Americans, Japanese, Czechs, British, Russians, French, Chinese, etc. ?

I found this to be rampant in May/June 2015, ie German trains being late constantly...so much for efficiency and puntuality.

If it did not happen to me personally on the specific departure, it happened to someone else. Listen to the PA system announcing which trains on which tracks departing were late were late..5 , 10, 15 mins or more than 30 mins. Read the blue electronic board and TV screens to see how many trains were late. True...2017 was nowhere close regarding late trains ( I was all over in Germany) as the worse year I ever experienced in 2015.

Posted by
7513 posts

Has anyone here gone to the museum on a Monday where you were told you couldn't go into the court room?

Not sure how this will help you. Someones past experience will not affect the scheduling of the Courtroom in the future. If you plan a Monday, you must accept that there is a risk it may be closed.

Even if there were an online schedule, that would still have risk in that a need for the court may arise the same day.

Posted by
122 posts

Paul, it would help me. I have not read anything online where someone said that they went on a Monday and that it was closed to the public.

Posted by
210 posts

I have not read all of the responses above, but I was there last May.

Yes, the courtroom is still being used. I decided to take a chance on whether court was in session. Something was better than nothing.....luckily the weekday I went (a Wednesday), it was not. I was able to enter the courtroom and shoot images. You could only go into the "spectator" section. There was an audio guide which I liked. There was a museum on the floor above the courtroom. It is good and quite extensive. I easily spent two hours there.

I took the metro from the old town area of Nuremburg to get there. The TI (in the old town) was MOST helpful with that information.

I was very lucky for it to be open. Very educational day.