Please sign in to post.

Nuremberg

Trying to decide whether we should keep a day/night stop in Nuremberg on our itinerary........thoughts?

Posted by
19092 posts

My thought is that you, and only you, should decide it. We can't decide it for you. Research what there is to see in Nürnberg (WWII history sites, a castle, market square). I understand there is a Dokumentation Center, like the one in Berchtesgaden, which I definitely think is worth seeing. If there is something you want to see, stop there.

Hopefully, posters here will provide you with some more suggestions.

Posted by
1481 posts

It depends on what you are looking to experience and what alternative you are considering. We stop in Nürnberg primarily for the 3 main churches - Sebalduskirche, Frauenkirche & St Lorenz. In particular we have been following the rebuilding of Sebaldus. Plus, my wife's favorite bratwurst stand is there.

We lived there and love going back. Still, if you are pressed for time I can think of other stops that I might prefer.

Posted by
11613 posts

I loved my few days in Nurnberg. The Documentation Center is extensive, you can also visit the Courtroom where the trials of Nazi war criminals took place. Several beautiful churches, nice walks through the historic center.

Posted by
12040 posts

Where are you coming from and where are you going? I like Nurnberg, but I wouldn't consider it as a stopover between, let's say, Hamburg and Berlin.

Posted by
32752 posts

my wife's favorite bratwurst stand is there.

Gary Mc, which one is her favourite?

Posted by
308 posts

I spent an afternoon and one night in Nuremberg and really enjoyed it. I had time to visit the Documentation Center, walk around the Old Town, and have an amazing dinner of bratwurst and beer.

Posted by
8 posts

Lee - Ha, thanks :o) That's a given!

Everyone else, thanks for your thoughts. It's always nicer to hear a little info from people who have been there. Much appreciated :o)

April

Posted by
513 posts

There is also a great Transportation Museum in Nuremberg with fabulous train exhibits.

Posted by
782 posts

I think Nurnburg is definetly worth a day with a variety of attractions available,Nazi Documentation Center,Castle,Albrect Duerer House,Transportation Museum and walled city with several churches.
Mike

Posted by
32752 posts

are you driving or on the train/bus because if you are driving I know a good place by the A6 and easy train ride into the city.

Posted by
2026 posts

Among other sights, we very much enjoyed the Germanisches Nationalmuseum. Spent much longer than we expected; just found it fascinating.

Posted by
12040 posts

I've visited the Germanische Nationalmuseum twice and I think I've only seen about half the exhibits. It's huge.

I was a bit let down by the Deutsche Bahn museum, however. I expected more preserved engines and rolling stock, but the museum's footprint is only large enough for a handful. The rest are all scale models.