Please sign in to post.

Nov 2021 Day Trip from Mannheim to Strasbourg

Hi there!

My family and I are going to be in Germany from mid-November until the end of the month and will be staying for a few nights in the Mannheim area. Checking the dates, we will be there when the Strasbourg Christmas Market opens so we were thinking about doing a day trip. However, I am worried about what the COVID protocols would be if we trained to Strasbourg in the morning, and then were back in Germany by the evening. I know cases are going up, unfortunately, but would anyone know what the current border situation is? Or what we would need to do if we went to France for a few hours and then went back into Germany? Having a hard time finding any information. Thanks so much!

Posted by
220 posts

Hi there!

I just went to France (Strasbourg) from Germany (by way of Kehl) about 2 weeks ago. There were no checks whatsoever between borders or border control. Once you are in Germany the borders are basically open between the two countries. In France no one checked our vaccine proof to hop on anything (trains/trams or other). Of course, IN France you have to show proof just like you did in Germany to visit anywhere- to make things easier we just had the people at the German pharmacy upload our vaccination proof into their EU system (CovPass app) and then that works in France, so you don't have to get a "Pass Sanitare" for your one day in Strasbourg. The CovPass/ Koch app is valid in France since its certified by an EU country. You can pre-download the app in the GooglePlay store by changing your region to Germany ahead of time (though it will be locked for I think 6 months like you are in Germany). It can also be downloaded in the Apple store (which I think is less difficult depending on what type of phone you have).

Both countries require masks on public transport. So bring some extra N95s and you should be good to go unless things change drastically.