Please sign in to post.

Northern Germany

We will be making our first trip in mid September. We have days booked in Hamburg but have 3 spare days to use. We have looked at Lubeck and Luneburg. Also Kiel. Any recommendations or reviews of any of these? Or another lovely spot to visit? I appreciate all help! Thanks

Posted by
14507 posts

Don't let your itinerary be dictated by reading the reviews. Forget the reviews. I never read them anyway, much less base my decision to visit towns on such things.

Good choices...Lübeck, Lüneburg, Kiel. I would suggest too Eutin/Holstein, Schleswig, Stade, Husum, Except for the last two, I have been to all at least once or repeatedly.

If you're interested in Prussian history, I most definitely recommend Lüneburg, Pinneberg bei Hamburg, Friedrichsruh bei Hamburg, and Schleswig.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

If you have 3 spare days for seeing and doing day trips from Hamburg, these towns/cities with 1.5 hr radius can be done easily, ie S-Bahn or regional train. Going to Lüneburg or Lübeck from Hamburg Hbf is easy and direct.

If you do decide on Kiel, which I heartily recommend, for one of the 3 days, then I would suggest the harbor cruise, die Hafenrundfahrt, costs 14 Euro, takes all the way to Laboe if you're interested in that. I like going to Kiel. Or, if you time it right, take the Kiel Canal cruise, (Nord-Ostsee-Kanal).

Another town near Kiel aside from Eutin, is Plön. Towns like Stade, Eutin, Lüneburg, came through the war in 1945 unscathed and intact

Posted by
1117 posts

There was a very similar question which I just replied to, so you might want to check out that thread for ideas.