Please sign in to post.

Non Rev Travel to Munich during Oktoberfest 2017

My wife and I are planning to travel to Munich for Oktoberfest next September. My daughter works for a major US air carrier which allows us to travel "non-rev" or at no cost. The problem is that that travel is on a standby basis with no seat guaranteed on any flight.

QUESTION: Is there an optimal way to book lodging in advance given that we can't be certain of our arrival time?

We'd like to avoid no show charges. Should we wait until we arrive to find a place to stay? We are currently planning to stay in Munich from Monday, September 18, 2017 through Thursday, September 21, 2017. I'm told that Oktoberfest well be less crowded on these days.

Thanks.

Posted by
980 posts

QUESTION: Is there an optimal way to book lodging in advance given that we can't be certain of our arrival time?

Do you mean you don't know what time you will arrive or what day you will arrive?

We'd like to avoid no show charges. Should we wait until we arrive to find a place to stay?

No, you will have a difficult time finding a room that is not incredibly expensive, inconvenient, low quality or some combination of the three.

We are currently planning to stay in Munich from Monday, September 18, 2017 through Thursday, September 21, 2017. I'm told that Oktoberfest well be less crowded on these days.

That won't make much difference on your lodging situation.

Most hotels don't have flexible reservations during Oktoberfest as demand is very high. A lot of the reasonable rooms with prime locations are already booked for next year.

If your dates (but not times of arrival) are fixed book your rooms now. If you are not sure what day you'll arrive then you might do better staying in a town outside of Munich that can easily be reached by train. Search this forum and you'll find lots of recommendations.

DJ

Posted by
112 posts

Our son is a commercial airline captain. There are various non-rev travel sites and your daughter's airline non-rev booking site might have reservation capability for hotels and autos. Sometimes the crew hotels can fit you in if you travel with the crew transportation to the hotel. I am reluctant to provide links since they may be specific to our situation. Get connected with other non revers in our daughters airline, they know the tricks. I call it "non-rev bingo."

Posted by
8942 posts

Use www.hrs.de to find rooms. They have a very liberal cancellation policy on most of their rooms. As in no charges up until the day of arrival. This would make your travel plans less stressful.

Posted by
4154 posts

It sounds like this may be your first overseas non-rev trip. So far, this is what has happened to us on Delta. We've saved a lot on airfare, but issues have kept it from being free.

Non-rev #1. RT Seattle -- Paris. That part worked fine. But I got stuck in Salt Lake on the way from Tucson to Seattle the day before our flight. I spent the night and "bought" a last minute ticket with credit card points. That got me to the airport in time the next day to meet my husband and make the Paris flight.

Non-rev #2. RT Tucson to Amsterdam. There was no space for us on the early flight from Tucson to Atlanta, so we missed the first flight to Amsterdam. We got on the second flight to Atlanta, which should've gotten us there in time to make the second flight to Amsterdam. But a combination of late arrival, unavailable gate space and people who blocked the aisle, even though the flight attendants asked them to stay seated while we came thru, caused us to miss it.

We ended up having to spend the night in Atlanta and were able to get on the first flight to Amsterdam the next day. When I was sure we'd get on, I contacted both the owner of the apartment we were renting and the rental car company to let them know we'd be a day late. We ate the costs of that lost day.

There was a third, later flight the day we were originally supposed to go to Amsterdam, but it was a KLM plane, not Delta "metal" as they say. My understanding is that the flight privileges are usually only for the airline that employs your relative.

Non-rev #3. RT Tucson to Rome. We got on our scheduled planes with no issues. Of course, this time I planned to get stuck and we got there on time without any hotel reservations. Our idea was to lose the jet-lag in Fiumicino before flying on to Istanbul (points), but the place I wanted to stay was totally booked. Where we stayed wasn't great, but there was a very good restaurant adjacent, so we coped.

After Istanbul and Greece, we flew back to Rome (points) with a secure reservation at our preferred place in Fiumicino. We were due to fly home from Rome the next day, Wednesday. No room. That went on for 5 days, and our son didn't know how to fix it. Every day we packed up and went to the airport. Every day we went back to our hotel to check in again. Fortunately, our hotel had plenty of room and sympathy for us.

During that time our trip insurance expired, my husband ran out of one of his meds and we had to call our credit union to get our cards extended until we got home. We went to a pharmacy and got enough of his med to last for a few days. We hoped nothing would happen that required the insurance.

On Saturday we learned that the flights from Milan were almost empty. We tried again on Sunday. Nada. We decided that if we didn't get on Monday, we'd take the fast train to Milan, spend the night at the airport and fly out on Tuesday. We didn't, the desk agents wrote us new passes, we got our train tickets and headed north. In spite of all the drama, we still saved the equivalent of one RT ticket.

Instead of flying back the way we flew over, we went Milan -- New York -- Salt Lake -- Tucson. A couple of women who had flown non-rev Atlanta to Rome also got stuck, but they had higher priority than we did and were able to get on a Rome -- New York -- Atlanta route on Saturday.

Hopefully you won't have any complications like we've had. But, be prepared with alternate plans just in case. You are going to a very popular place at a very popular time. It might be worth the cost to schedule a hotel for which you can change the arrival without penalty, or that is cheap enough that you can absorb the cost if you don't get there on the first day of your reservation.

P.S. I wouldn't plan to arrive in Munich jet-lagged and head straight for the beer...

I do not think that you will find accomodation in and around Munich during the Octoberfest that you can cancel at short notice. I have to book rooms in Munich for our consultants at work and we have to cancel the hotel rooms four weeks in advance (when there is a fair in Munich), otherwise we will have to pay the full price. Last year I needed a room for one extra person (wanted to book in July for Oktoberfest). It was almost impossible to find something - even when I looked about 1 to 1,5 driving hours out of Munich. He ended up in a shared hostel room.
Why should it be less crowded? Haven't heard of anything like that.

Posted by
157 posts

DJ

My response are in italics:

Do you mean you don't know what time you will arrive or what day you will arrive?

When flying non-rev, you can't know. You are flying standby. Maybe you'll get on. Maybe you won't.

Thanks.

Posted by
157 posts

MsEB

My response in italics.

You're flying on a Sunday night which might make it harder to get seats. When I've flown non-rev, I've picked either a Tuesday or Wednesday to fly both to/from Europe as that is when the seat loads are the lightest. Food for thought. I always make hotel reservations in advance many of which are nonrefundable. So I guess I've rolled the dice? Good luck!

No plans to fly Sunday. Actually currently planning to leave Thursday, 14-Sep-17 flying to Munich or Frankfurt or Zurich depending on flight availability. Returning Saturday, 23-Sep-17. Thanks for the tip regarding best departure days.

Posted by
157 posts

All

What is the best day of the week to return to the USA non-Rev?

Thanks.

Posted by
4140 posts

Things that are seemingly free , are often , in point of fact , rather quite costly . Cash out of hand is only one way to pay .

Posted by
980 posts

Hi Hank,

Since you don't know what day you may arrive it's best to call the hotel you plan on staying with and see if you can book a room and agree to pay if they can hold the room even if you are a day or two late.

DJ

Posted by
20085 posts

Sounds like you have things covered pretty well by planning on flying out early and having options for different airports. Flying from Atlanta, you will be able to get a direct flight. So I think you would be safe to make reservation for your stay in Munich. You can wing the other days you are not in Munich. It will be fairly easy to get from Frankfurt to Munich, and just a bit less convenient from Zurich.

Hank, that may be true for the Oktoberfest itself but if you need accomodation that will be a completely different story. It is really hard and you need luck to get even the smallest room in a remote area (like 80 km outside of Munich) for a decent price. The hotels we book are sold out already although the price is three times the price of normal nights. Also there are strict cancellation rules. We cannot cancel the rooms later than 6 weeks before the Oktoberfest without having to pay the full price for all nights.